Solved

RIEGL Point Clouds

• 12 September 2017
  • 12 replies

Badge

Hi,

I'm trying to get a Riegl laser scanning project (.RDB or .RSP) into FME. I'm able to add a Reader, but when I attach an Inspector or otherwise add any transformer, it fails. This is the error message:

"RDB Reader: Invalid dataset. File '.rds' does not exist. Please ensure both a data and an index file exist in folder '' and you have sufficient privileges to read them."

How can I best prepare a Riegl scan for FME proccessing?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

icon

Best answer by daveatsafe 20 September 2017, 00:39

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @adamb,

By your message log, have you the file .rds in the same folder?

Wich version of FMe are you using?

Could you share us your sample data?

Thanks,

Danilo

Badge

Hey @danilo_inovacao,

My project is called "Shortys" and the filepath where an RDS is located is:

Shorts3.RiSCAN\\project.rdb\\SCANS\\ScanPos001\\SINGLESCANS\\170906_160544

Shorts3.RiSCAN\\project.rdb\\SCANS\\ScanPos002\\SINGLESCANS\\170906_162707

etc. (for 20 scan positions)

I am using FME Workbench 2017.1.

Where can I upload the data?

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hey @danilo_inovacao,

Hi, try to save your Reader in Workspace template .fmwt and see the size of file.

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hey @danilo_inovacao,

Hi @adamb, did you save your Workspace with your reader like a template file (.fmwt )?

Thanks,

Danilo

Badge

Hey @danilo_inovacao,

Hi @danilo_inovacao

The .fmwt is 11kb: rdb-workspace.fmwt

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @adamb,

FME seems to be seeing a discrepancy between the scans listed in the project file and actual RDS files available. In order to dig into this issue, it would be very helpful to have a copy of your dataset (or a smaller subset that will produce the same problem). The easiest way to share the data would be to send a Google Drive or Dropbox link. If you don't want to make your data public, please send an email to support@safe.com, Attn Dave.

Kind regards,

Dave Campanas

Userlevel 4
Badge +30
Hi @danilo_inovacao

The .fmwt is 11kb: rdb-workspace.fmwt

Hi @adamb

, thanks your template file.

I opened and agree with @DaveAtSafe: share us your source data.

Thanks,

Danilo
Badge

Hi @adamb,

FME seems to be seeing a discrepancy between the scans listed in the project file and actual RDS files available. In order to dig into this issue, it would be very helpful to have a copy of your dataset (or a smaller subset that will produce the same problem). The easiest way to share the data would be to send a Google Drive or Dropbox link. If you don't want to make your data public, please send an email to support@safe.com, Attn Dave.

Kind regards,

Dave Campanas

Hi @DaveAtSafe,

I've got a copy of my dataset uploaded here on Dropbox. I've truncated the dataset from 20 scan positions to just 5.

Thank you for any insights you can provide.

Cheers,

Adam

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi @DaveAtSafe,

I've got a copy of my dataset uploaded here on Dropbox. I've truncated the dataset from 20 scan positions to just 5.

Thank you for any insights you can provide.

Cheers,

Adam

Hi @adamb,

I got the data OK, but there doesn't seem to be an project .RPP or .RSP file to read for the Riegl RDB Project reader.

The scan folders also don't seem to contain any .rdb and .rdx files that can be read by the RIEGL Laser Scan Database reader.

The data that can be read by FME will be in the project.rdb folder in your project.

Badge

Hi @adamb,

Kind regards,

Dave Campanas

Hi @DaveAtSafe,

I have tried loading that RDB before, and got a similar error. I've added a sample Project.RDB to the Dropbox folder I shared with you. Incidentally, the only .RDX files present are P2D. The only RDB I've found is the folder itself. Again, I've truncated the dataset to 5 scan positions by simply removing the folder. If you need the rest (perhaps to help an index file) I can upload them.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @adamb,

Thank you for the new info. Your Riegl project seems to be the new version 2.0. I'm sorry, but FME does not yet support this version. We are working on adding this support, and I will notify you as soon as it is available.

Badge

Hi @adamb,

Thank you for the new info. Your Riegl project seems to be the new version 2.0. I'm sorry, but FME does not yet support this version. We are working on adding this support, and I will notify you as soon as it is available.

Hi @DaveAtSafe

Thanks so much for your response. I look forward to the support!