Question

Issue connecting to ArcSDE (ArcMap 10.5) using connection file

• 27 July 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi There,

As per the title, I am having trouble connecting to an ArcSDE geodatabase using a connection file. I can confirm that I am able to connect to the database in ArcMap/ArcCatalog so my feeling is that there is nothing wrong with the connection file, but possibly some other issue that I am having trouble trying to resolve.

I am running FME 2018.1 32-bit and have also tested this in FME 2017.1 32-bit to no avail. I can also confirm that I also have the 32-bit Oracle Instant Client (12.2) installed and configured correctly. I am currently running Windows 7, but I have also tested on a colleagues computer (32bit FME 2018.1 and 32 bit Instant Client) who is running Windows 10, and we both receive exactly the same error.

The error that I am receiving is the following:

---------------------------
Fetching Feature Types Error
<b>Failed to retrieve feature types.</b><p>Could not open the Enterprise Geodatabase. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147216072'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {Underlying DBMS error[Unknown errorNo extended error.]}
Close   

Looking at the full log, I see the following (note I have masked the connection details for security reasons - as mentioned I'm quite confident they are correct since I can access the geodb via ArcMap/Catalog):

Creating reader for format: Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb)
Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for reader named `GEODATABASE_SDE'
Loaded module 'GEODATABASE_SDE' from file 'C:\apps\FME 2018.1 32bit\GEODATABASE9.dll'
FME API version of module 'GEODATABASE_SDE' matches current internal version (3.8 20180604)
Creating reader for format: Esri Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodb)
Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for reader named `GEODATABASE_SDE'
FME API version of module 'GEODATABASE_SDE' matches current internal version (3.8 20180604)
Opening the Geodatabase reader
The ArcObjects license 'Standard' is being selected from the Windows registry
FME has checked out an Esri license. The product checked out is 'Standard'
Installed ArcGIS version is '10.5'
Could not open the Enterprise Geodatabase. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147216072'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {Underlying DBMS error[Unknown errorNo extended error.]}
Please ensure the connection parameters are correct (server=`####', instance=`####', user=`####', password=`***', database=`', version=`SDE.DEFAULT')
A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details
Failed to obtain any schemas from reader 'GEODATABASE_SDE' from 1 datasets. This may be due to invalid datasets or format accessibility issues due to licensing, dependencies, or module loading. See logfile for more information
Failed to obtain any schemas from reader 'GEODATABASE_SDE' from 1 datasets. This may be due to invalid datasets or format accessibility issues due to licensing, dependencies, or module loading. See logfile for more information

I found a post on Safe Knowledge with the same error (https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/65184/sde-connection-files-fail-following-an-upgrade-of.html) but unfortunately the solution described does not seem to apply to our situation (we did not upgrade - we have a fresh install of 10.5 and the 'ArcGIS Desktop Background Geoprocessing v.10.4' package is not on our machines).

The error is so generic that it is difficult for me to try and solve. I have looked at various forum posts relating to issue '-2147216072' and it appears that there is a whole bunch of different causes and solutions most of which do not relate to my situation.

In order to connect to the database/SDE we are required to be on a internal corporate VPN. My feeling is that the VPN could be the problem - perhaps the ArcSDE reader does not correctly tunnel requests through the VPN, but this is just a best guess (I'm not a network guy so I don't even know if what I said makes sense).

I have tested out this theory by attempting to connect to the SDE in FME while both connected to the VPN as well as disconnected. The error that I receive is exactly the same, I guess I was expecting a more of a connection/network related error when disconnected from the VPN. Unfortunately I have no means to get directly on the network to test out this theory (corporate lyf).

I am honestly stumped, so I would appreciate any help that anyone could offer. 

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Jamie.

6 replies

Badge +6

Hello @jacknkandy,

I’m sorry that you have run into this issue. Would you mind submitting a support ticket at https://www.safe.com/support/report-a-problem/?

This will allow us to work more closely to help determine the cause of this error.

If you wouldn’t mind following the steps in this article prior to filing a support ticket, and attach the resulting Fme report.html file to the case email. That will help us with the troubleshooting process.

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/714/general-troubleshooting-gathering-system-informati.html

Thank you!

Badge +8
@jacknkandy, this is indeed strange behavior. Could you try the following troubleshooting steps 

• Connect to Oracle Reader in FME Desktop (this will clarify if FME is aware of Oracle client) 
  • The SDE Connection that you are using has SDE Username/Password or Use Override Credentials in Parameter Options 
  • Lastly, could you create a new connection in ArcCatalog as below and try using this connection file in FME 
sde:<client version>:<server>/<SID> e.g. sde:oracle12:<myServer>/SID

Badge
@jacknkandy, this is indeed strange behavior. Could you try the following troubleshooting steps 

• Connect to Oracle Reader in FME Desktop (this will clarify if FME is aware of Oracle client) 
  • The SDE Connection that you are using has SDE Username/Password or Use Override Credentials in Parameter Options 
  • Lastly, could you create a new connection in ArcCatalog as below and try using this connection file in FME 
sde:<client version>:<server>/<SID> e.g. sde:oracle12:<myServer>/SID

Hey @rahulsharma

Thanks for your suggestion and sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately we were unable to test these steps as our GIS team would not supply the password to us and so we were dependent on using the connection file.

Cheers,

Jamie

Badge

Hi,

Just posting an update in case anyone runs into this issue. We were able to resolve our issue by installing the ArcGIS 64-bit background processor and using the 64-bit version of FME along with the 64-bit Oracle Instant Client.

Although this doesn't directly resolve the issue for the 32-bit version of FME, this is a suitable and preferred solution for our team.

Cheers,

Jamie.

Badge +1

Were you ever able to figure out the cause of this issue, other than switching to 64-bit FME? We have the exact same issue attempting to retrieve schemas from SDE geodatabases.

The error message is

Could not open the Enterprise Geodatabase. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147216072'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {Underlying DBMS error[Unknown errorNo extended error.]}

The ArcGIS, FME and Oracle client versions don't seem to make a difference either, we have attempted many combinations of versions, and nothing works.

We've actually had a support ticket open on this since July 2018 with no resolution.

Unfortunately we cannot switch to 64-bit as we have dependencies on ArcPy Metadata tools, which are only available in 32-bit.

Hello @tris_w​ , were you able to find a solution? I'm facing the same issue, and I'm stuck with the 32bit FME in this particular environment.