Question

How to Connect to FME Server Postgres DB Running in Docker

• 31 March 2020
  • 2 replies

I installed FME Server on my Mac using Docker...running using docker-compose. I am wondering if I can connect to the Postgresql database external to the docker image from my Mac. Just interested in using it while testing, but not sure which port/user/pw to use. I couldn't tell this information from the docker-compose file. Any help would be appreciated.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +28

Perhaps @gerhardatsafe has some tips on this one?

Badge

Hi @tacreeodot,

I am not 100% sure if I understand the role of the DB here, but in case you want to use the PostgreSQL as FME Server DB instead of the default DB coming with the compose deployment, you can switch to a different DB with some environment variables:

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/AdminGuide/Container-Environment-Variables.htm

If the PostgreSQL runs on your Mac, so on the same host as Docker for Mac, you might have to access the DB via:

host.docker.internal

The port would be whichever port the DB is using (e.g 5432). Take a look at these Use cases and workarounds for more details.

If the DB is running on a different host within your network just use the hostname/port you usually use to connect to the DB.

I hope this helps!