Question

Unable to read features from ArcGIS REST Featureservice, but successfully connected

• 30 August 2018
  • 4 replies

I´m able to connet to an arcgis featureservice with the "Esri ArcGIS Server Feature Service" reader via token authentication and can choose the available layers. When I want to read the features i get following output:

ArcGIS Feature Service Reader: Requesting metadata for Feature Service at 'https://xxx/FeatureServer' ArcGIS Feature Service Reader: Found layer/table 'xxx' with ID 4 for feature type 'xxx' ArcGIS Feature Service Reader: Requesting metadata for layer/table 4 of Feature Service at 'https://xxx/FeatureServer' ArcGIS Feature Service Reader: Querying layer/table 4 for object IDs, where '1=1' ArcGIS Feature Service Reader: Encountered an unexpected error. The error code from the server was '400' and the message was: 'Unable to complete operation.'. Details: 'Unable to perform query operation.' A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

I get this error on all available layers. The feature service works with ArcCatalog.

Any ideas ?

4 replies

I also tried another ArcGIS REST Featureservice with the same result. My FME Desktop Version is FME(R) 2017.1.2.1 (20180117 - Build 17725 - WIN64)

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Try reducing the number of features per request in the Reader paramaters, by default the reader is set to 1000. I've seen cases where the service is configured in a way where the service has been configured differently to what FME is expecting. If you set this Parameter to 1 as a test then this will rule out that being an issue. You can then increase to find the sweet spot.

I would also suggest testing with the latest version of FME to see if the problem is still there.

Another issue could be related to any proxies set up on your system, this can be tested by checking to see if background maps work properly in the data inspector (if they do then you shouldn't need to worry about proxies).

I have this, but it will error out with HTTP 500 at "random" intervals - I've tried a lower request number.

What's the easiest way to trap this error?

We had a similar issue at work when trying to read a layer from ArcGIS Online. We found out there were empty geometries inside the layer. A workaroud was to set a search enveloppe so that all your data are contained inside it. Using that, the empty geometries were discarded