Question

Creating Multiple Database Tables in SQL Server

• 27 August 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi all,

I am currently attempting to load in 1000 data sets I have in 1000 different tables. I need to do this in Microsoft SQL Server.

My data sources are either in Excel or Geodatabases. The plan is to download all the data sources and put them into one location. Once I have done this, I would directly like to set up some workbenches to load the data directly.

My question is what would be the most efficient way to create the SQL server tables with the Geometry using FME. Then in the future, these tables will need to be continuously updated with the data. As there are so many columns with each data set, is there a quick and easy way to create the 1000 tables without much manual input.

At the moment, I have tried creating the tables individually by writing up SQL Script but is taking a lot of time to create. Any past examples I can base this on or transformers that can speed this would be great.

Thank You

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

You can try a dynamic workflow, where FME will attempt to create tables using the structure of the input data. This might not be ideal though in cases where the input data schema does thingsthat are not supported in SQL Server

Badge

Thanks for the reply. Would you happen to have any examples or workflows that might help with this?

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Thanks for the reply. Would you happen to have any examples or workflows that might help with this?

Hi @fazsnatch,

Have you taken a look at these tutorials by chance?