Question

Why is Geodatabase_SDE writer trying to write to the source's dataset when I don't want it to?

I'm using Geodatabase_SDE reader and writer with different connection files.

I have one database "Operations" with user1 and another database "Data_Sources" with user2. They both support geometric data used in ArcGIS. I try to read from Operations.user1.featureclass1, and write to Data_Sources.user2.featureclass2.

Operations.user1.featureclass1 is in a dataset "ops". I'm tryng to just write a standalone featureclass in Data_Sources, so i am leaving the Feature Dataset parameter as blank. However, seems that no matter what i try, the error keeps getting thrown that I can't do the operation because I'm not the database owner. And the log says it was trying to write Data_Sources.user2.featureclass2 to the Operations.Ops dataset.

The message is:

Geodatabase Writer: Creating feature class `User2.Featureclass2' in feature dataset 'Operations.User1.Ops'

An error occurred while attempting to create the feature class 'User2.Featureclass2'. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147220969'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {Must be the owner to perform this operation.}

A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details

Why does this writer keep trying to write to a dataset when I am trying to tell it not to?

2 replies

Badge +8

Hi @joe101,

The error could be related to creating FeatureDataset using incorrect or user credentials.

Another user reported an error similar to yours https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/91068/must-be-the-owner-to-perform-this-operation.html

Workaround: To expose the parameter 'geodb_feature_dataset' and set the value to null

Can you confirm if this solution works for you.

Hi @joe101,

The error could be related to creating FeatureDataset using incorrect or user credentials.

Another user reported an error similar to yours https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/91068/must-be-the-owner-to-perform-this-operation.html

Workaround: To expose the parameter 'geodb_feature_dataset' and set the value to null

Can you confirm if this solution works for you.

Yes that is the correct answer! Thank you. I used AttributeExposer to expose the attribute and then AttributeManager to set the value to null. The writer doesn't add this as an attribute to be written so no further action required for the writer.