Question

KML view setter with exif data

• 28 February 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi,

I am in the process of creating a workbench to transform geotagged jpegs into KMLs. Ideally I want my photos to popup in google earth balloons at the location they were taken at. In order to do this I first need to extract the exif geographical information i.e.latitude, longitude, altitude, bearing etc. I would've thought that KML viewsetter would be the right tool for this however when I fill in the location fields with the appropriate exif information the KML still defaults to latitude 0, longitude 0. I'm quite sure I've got the right parameters "jpeg_exif_gpslongitude", "jpeg_exif_gpslatitude" etc. but it's not working for me.

Any ideas from the community?

Thanks,

Mike

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +30

Hi @mikegresham1,

Did you take the photos with gps enable?

A few years ago I created a Proof of Concept using this concept.

Thanks,

Danilo

Badge

Hi @mikegresham1,

Did you take the photos with gps enable?

A few years ago I created a Proof of Concept using this concept.

Thanks,

Danilo

Hi Danilo,

Thanks for your comment - yes the photos were taken with a GPS enabled camera (I wouldn't have started creating my workbench if they hadn't been ;)). I have investigated a bit further and found that the exif data is being parsed however the formatting is incorrect. It appears that the data isn't in decimal degrees (I thought the exif data would be natively in decimal degrees) - below is an example of the gps longitude tag in the kml

<SimpleData name="jpeg_exif_gpslongitude">(153) (1) (51)</SimpleData>.

I am guessing I need a transformer to ensure that the exif data stays in decimal degrees and doesn't convert to what appears to be degrees minutes seconds.

Thanks again,

Mike

Userlevel 5
Badge +26

Here's a workspace that I built a while ago that does most of what you're doing (and if I recall correctly I based it on one that @KenAtSafe did, I think it's on the hub somewhere).

georef-fotos-uitlezen-v1.fmw

Badge

Here's a workspace that I built a while ago that does most of what you're doing (and if I recall correctly I based it on one that @KenAtSafe did, I think it's on the hub somewhere).

That's exactly what I'm after - thanks very much.

That has saved me a lot of work.

Mike

Badge +13

Thanks Hans,

You confirmed my idea how to solve this, and saved me a lot of typing. Just made someone very happy on the other side of this set of desks.

Poor chap was checking 170+ photo's with the picture on one screen and a map on another, to guess if the name contained the right trajectory-number. So while FME was running my conversion I helped him a little.

I owe you a drink next time we meet ;-)

Martin