Question

Write from Postgis to ArcSDE Geodb and change the table column names to Uppercase

• 16 January 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Hello. I'm using FME Desktop 2019.

Basically I have a Postgis table where the column names are in lowercase and I want to write to an ArcSDE Geodb table but I want to have only the column names changed from lowercase to uppercase when writing to the ArcSDE table. Only the column names, not the record attributes. I want to leave the record attributes the same.

I've tried using the BulkAttributeRenamer but this will change the column names to uppercase but then it messes up the type and width of the column (fields).

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +25
Could you elaborate on how the types and widths of the fields are messed up? Keep in mind that PostGIS and SDE have different kinds of data types so there is often some discrepancy between the input and output schemas.
Badge +1
Could you elaborate on how the types and widths of the fields are messed up? Keep in mind that PostGIS and SDE have different kinds of data types so there is often some discrepancy between the input and output schemas.

@redgeographics Thank you for replying.

To elaborate further, when using the BulkAttributeRenamer it changes the table columns to uppercase (which is fine), however, it modifies the data types of the columns (fields) and the width (length).

Example, I may have a field named 'value', Type: double, Width: 1, but the BulkAttributeRenamer renames the named field to 'VALUE', Type: char, Width: 200.

Without using the BulkAttributeRenamer, I can produce an SDE table just fine without touching the schema with the exception that I would like the column names all in uppercase. Thus, I attempted to use the BulkAttributeRenamer. Perhaps there is another transformer I can use to accomplish my task?

This is the configuration I have set on the BulkAttributeRenamer

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

@redgeographics Thank you for replying.

To elaborate further, when using the BulkAttributeRenamer it changes the table columns to uppercase (which is fine), however, it modifies the data types of the columns (fields) and the width (length).

Example, I may have a field named 'value', Type: double, Width: 1, but the BulkAttributeRenamer renames the named field to 'VALUE', Type: char, Width: 200.

Without using the BulkAttributeRenamer, I can produce an SDE table just fine without touching the schema with the exception that I would like the column names all in uppercase. Thus, I attempted to use the BulkAttributeRenamer. Perhaps there is another transformer I can use to accomplish my task?

This is the configuration I have set on the BulkAttributeRenamer

Can you also post a screenshot of your output feature type settings? (the user attributes section)

Badge +1

Can you also post a screenshot of your output feature type settings? (the user attributes section)

Without the BulkAttributeRenamer

With the BulkAttributeRenamer. Notice how the Type 'double' got converted to 'char' and the width have changed to 200

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

Without the BulkAttributeRenamer

With the BulkAttributeRenamer. Notice how the Type 'double' got converted to 'char' and the width have changed to 200

Gotcha, it does look like the BulkAttributeRenamer strips the data type information, which is odd. @mark2atsafe could you pass this on to support please?

The workaround is to set the Attribute Definition to "Manual" before connecting the BulkAttributeRenamer, the downside is that you'll then also have to manually change the attribute names in the output feature type, so I'm afraid that's not really an improvement.