Question

FME Server 2017.1 cant write to PostgreSQL DB

Tried to copy feature classes from a Microsoft SQL database to a postgresql database using SDE Connection files. The workbenche does fine on FME Desktop 2017 but on the fme Server 2017.1 i get following error:

"Could not open the Enterprise Geodatabase. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147155644'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {Cannot connect to database because the database client software failed to load. Be sure the database client software is installed and configured correctly.} "

19 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +18

The Arcgis client software should be installed on the server also. The engine must be 32 bits if u use 32 bits third party software.

The Arcgis client software should be installed on the server also. The engine must be 32 bits if u use 32 bits third party software.

it should be installed by arcmap Desktop ... or i am i wrong?

and all workbenches without postgre Connection working fine

Userlevel 1
Badge +18

Yep, is the engine 32 bits?

engine and server 64bit, arcmap Desktop (10.4.1) 32bit + backgroundgeoprocessing 64bit

Userlevel 1
Badge +18
engine and server 64bit, arcmap Desktop (10.4.1) 32bit + backgroundgeoprocessing 64bit

Is your FME desktop instance where it's running correct also 64 bits?
Is your FME desktop instance where it's running correct also 64 bits?
the fme Desktop is 32bit

Userlevel 1
Badge +18

You've told me that in workbench 32 bits it is working. Either install 32 bits Engine or Esri 64 bit Background Geoprocessing Module on the server and Postgres should be in the same architecture you choose.

Userlevel 1
Badge +18
the fme Desktop is 32bit

Either install 32 bits Engine or Esri 64 bit Background Geoprocessing Module on the server

You've told me that in workbench 32 bits it is working. Either install 32 bits Engine or Esri 64 bit Background Geoprocessing Module on the server and Postgres should be in the same architecture you choose.

Esri 64 bit Background Geoprocessing Module is already installed and the postgre is 64 bit too

Userlevel 1
Badge +18
Esri 64 bit Background Geoprocessing Module is already installed and the postgre is 64 bit too

Could you check if you can write to postgres without using the SDE?

Could you check if you can write to postgres without using the SDE?

tested with direct conenction to the postgres database and it worked on the server

Userlevel 1
Badge +18
tested with direct conenction to the postgres database and it worked on the server

The Account running the engine must have administrator privileges. Can you confirm it has the administrator rights and is not local system?

Userlevel 1
Badge +18

Can you share the PATH variable from the server?

open a cmd-prompt and type path.

Link

Can you share the PATH variable from the server?

open a cmd-prompt and type path.

Link

yes, the user running the fme Services is adminstrator

PATH=D:\\Python27\\ArcGISx6410.4;D:\\Program Files (x86)\\ArcGIS\\Desktop10.4;C:\\Wind

ows\\system32;C:\\Windows;C:\\Windows\\System32\\Wbem;C:\\Windows\\System32\\WindowsPowe

rShell\\v1.0\\;D:\\Program Files\\FMEServer\\Utilities\\jre\\bin\\client;D:\\Program File

s\\FMEServer\\Server\\fme;D:\\Program Files\\FMEServer\\

Userlevel 1
Badge +18
yes, the user running the fme Services is adminstrator

PATH=D:\\Python27\\ArcGISx6410.4;D:\\Program Files (x86)\\ArcGIS\\Desktop10.4;C:\\Wind

ows\\system32;C:\\Windows;C:\\Windows\\System32\\Wbem;C:\\Windows\\System32\\WindowsPowe

rShell\\v1.0\\;D:\\Program Files\\FMEServer\\Utilities\\jre\\bin\\client;D:\\Program File

s\\FMEServer\\Server\\fme;D:\\Program Files\\FMEServer\\

Can you change the path of the ArcGis libraries to a 64 bits path?

(the PATH you are listing is this the one you get when you are logged on as the user that's running the engine?)

there is no other arcgis path :S

yes, it is from the engine user

Userlevel 1
Badge +18
there is no other arcgis path :S

yes, it is from the engine user

Here are some links for further investigation.

https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/1931/enterprise-geodatabase-readerwriter-failing-to-loa.html

https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/3950/problem-using-direct-connect-to-esri-geodatabase-f.html

http://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000010576

If you still experience trouble create a support call. Your FME reseller can do this for you.

best regards,

Wilko Stalknecht

Badge +11

I have seen some misleading messages from ArcMap before. Is it possible something else is interfering here? Is your FME Desktop and FME Server on the same system where this is working? Seems like it is an ArcGIS issue. Can you connect to the postgreSQL DB OK with the ArcGIS software (on the same system that FME Server is installed)?

I have seen some misleading messages from ArcMap before. Is it possible something else is interfering here? Is your FME Desktop and FME Server on the same system where this is working? Seems like it is an ArcGIS issue. Can you connect to the postgreSQL DB OK with the ArcGIS software (on the same system that FME Server is installed)?

The FME Desktop and Server are on different machines.

Yes, i can connect with ArcMap on the Server sytem to my postgrs db