Solved

Combining polygons to create larger area

• 6 November 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello,

I have a shp file with ZIP code level polygons. I need to combine all of them to give me polygon for the state, is it possible to do in FME?

I tried to use the Aggregator, which took all my polygons and showed 1 output, but when inspecting the file, there was no geometry.

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by nathanatsafe 7 November 2017, 01:16

View original

5 replies

Badge +7

Hi @jitkam, thanks for posting your question!

It's a bit bizarre that the geometry would disappear when using the Aggregator. To further investigate, would you be able to provide your workspace and some sample data?

Another transformer to try in this situation would be the Dissolver. This will dissolve shared boundaries and output one feature. Which transformer to use will depend on the details of your desired output, as well as how you'd like your attributes to be merged. You might want to take a read through the documentation on the two transformers to see which is the best fit: Aggregator and Dissolver.

Hope this helps!

All best,

Nathan

Badge

Ni @NathanAtSafe, thank you for your reply. Please see the attached sample.

archive.zip

Thank you!

Badge +7

Ni @NathanAtSafe, thank you for your reply. Please see the attached sample.

archive.zip

Thank you!

Hi @jitkam,

Thanks for following up! If you take a close look at your data, you'll notice that many of the rows have NULL geometry (SHAPE_GEOMETRY = shape_null). This is the reason why your Aggregator output appears to have NULL geometry. You might try a Tester transformer before your Aggregator to separate NULL geometry from valid polygons.

Hope this helps!

Nathan
Badge
Hi @jitkam,

Thanks for following up! If you take a close look at your data, you'll notice that many of the rows have NULL geometry (SHAPE_GEOMETRY = shape_null). This is the reason why your Aggregator output appears to have NULL geometry. You might try a Tester transformer before your Aggregator to separate NULL geometry from valid polygons.

Hope this helps!

Nathan

Thank you @NathanAtSafe
Badge
Hi @jitkam,

Hope this helps!

Nathan
Hi @NathanAtSafe,

I cleaned up the shapefile to exclude the nulls (I think), but still get no geometry error. Can you please let me know what else I'm doing wrong or perhaps how to set up the aggregator (it's my first time using it)

Thank you so much!

archive1.zip