Question

ERSI ArcGIS FileGeodatabase default attribute values

• 21 October 2015
  • 7 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +2
Hi

I ma writing to an exisitng ArcGIS file geodatabse which is set up with subtypes and default attribute values.

When i wrtie to table File GDB only the attrbutes specfies with in the workspace a filled in, none of the default values for the other attributes are applied to the features.

How do i get the default values to be filled in when i write to the tables, without setting up the values with attribute creator? There over 700 attributes to setup maunally if i cant get the values embeded i nthe fileGDB to write.

Or how can i set up the valuies in my workspace with out having to manually type out or cut & paste all 700+?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Jacky

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi

As far as I can tell, that isn't possible, I'm afraid.

Hopefully someone can prove me wrong.

David
Badge +2
Hi,

Have you checked the setting in file geodatabase whether null values are allowed or not?
Badge
Hi,

if there is no others solutions, may be you could spend less time if you create the rows in ArcMap to fill the attributes with default values before using your FME workbench. And then using FME to fill the attributes specfies within your workbench.

Badge +1

I know this is an old question but I have very same problem with ArcGIS Pro and FME 2019.

Have you maybe somehow managed to resolve this issue?

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

I know this is an old question but I have very same problem with ArcGIS Pro and FME 2019.

Have you maybe somehow managed to resolve this issue?

Hi @ostoja,

Please go ahead and create a new question for better visibility. This thread might be inactive as it's been quite a few years. In the meantime though, have you already had a look through this article on working with Subtypes? Thanks!

Badge +1

Hi @ostoja,

Please go ahead and create a new question for better visibility. This thread might be inactive as it's been quite a few years. In the meantime though, have you already had a look through this article on working with Subtypes? Thanks!

Hi @jovitaatsafe,

I've already opened new topic last week Populate File Geodatabase Attribute with default value

Badge +3

Hi @jovitaatsafe,

I've already opened new topic last week Populate File Geodatabase Attribute with default value

Similar to the Answers posted in that Topic, creating a Template Geodatabase in ArcCatalog with the Default Values set on the fields is a solution.

Using the ESRI File Geodatabase API Writer works: In the example below, Fields "Property A" and "Property B" I did not write any attribute values out with FME at all nor map them in the Writer. The values of "AAA" and "BBB" were instead created automatically during the write process, because the Template FGDB used already had default values defined on the Fields by editing the Feature Class properties in ArcCatalog.

"UniqueID" was the only Attribute I wrote using FME (The first line has NULLs because that was a test insert in ArcMap itself....Record Numbers 2 onwards were written by FME)