Question

SDE update/rewrite

• 2 October 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hello,

I'm trying to create the worspace that I need to publish and automate later in FME Server.

There are 2 SDE Datasets, lets say the Set "A" and "B".

I have to delete some feature types (that contains also Relationships, Tables etc.) from Set A (also Domains!) and write new (actuel) feature types from set "B" into the Set "A" (of course with the domains).

Do you have an idea / model of the workspace?

At the beginning I do not try to test this with a .SDE-Reader, but with .GDB.

Thanks for all tipps!

6 replies

Badge +2

@terezia86 FME cannot create relationship classes. So what you'll probably need to do is use an Esri XML Workspace document that has the schema of the feature classes, relationships and tables you need in Geodb A. The article How to use an Esri Template Geodatabase should help you get going with writing to Geodatabase using a template.

Badge

@terezia86 FME cannot create relationship classes. So what you'll probably need to do is use an Esri XML Workspace document that has the schema of the feature classes, relationships and tables you need in Geodb A. The article How to use an Esri Template Geodatabase should help you get going with writing to Geodatabase using a template.

Hi @markatsafe,

thanks for your answer.

How should the schema looks like?

I was thinking to export the Set_A.XML (in ArcGIS Pro) from Set_A.gdb (only schema).

And to export Set_B-XML (data) from Set_B.gdb.

then add a writer = Set_B.XML into a workspace as a source of Set A. Then SOMEHOW? write/rewrite the Data (feature classes, relationships, domains) into a Set A.XML.

The thing is I need to rewrite it all (need to update old Dataset) and have it like a .sde

in this moment I am not sure what should be the next step, and if I even think to build this schema ok?

thanks a lot

Badge +2

Hi @markatsafe,

thanks for your answer.

How should the schema looks like?

I was thinking to export the Set_A.XML (in ArcGIS Pro) from Set_A.gdb (only schema).

And to export Set_B-XML (data) from Set_B.gdb.

then add a writer = Set_B.XML into a workspace as a source of Set A. Then SOMEHOW? write/rewrite the Data (feature classes, relationships, domains) into a Set A.XML.

The thing is I need to rewrite it all (need to update old Dataset) and have it like a .sde

in this moment I am not sure what should be the next step, and if I even think to build this schema ok?

thanks a lot

@terezia86 The Esri XML Workspace document schema can include anything from domains, subtypes, relationships, feature classes to tables. You should include the elements of the schema that you need to build your relationship from the feature class and table, including the revised domains. I would experiment with a dev SDEserver (or file geodatabase) first until you have the results you want.

In your example, you'd be using the schema from Set B since that's the one you want to reproduce on your set A
Badge

@terezia86 The Esri XML Workspace document schema can include anything from domains, subtypes, relationships, feature classes to tables. You should include the elements of the schema that you need to build your relationship from the feature class and table, including the revised domains. I would experiment with a dev SDEserver (or file geodatabase) first until you have the results you want.

In your example, you'd be using the schema from Set B since that's the one you want to reproduce on your set A

Hi @markatsafe,

thanks for reply.

So you say I should set as reader Esri XML Workspace document with dataset of Set B and as a writer .gdb with only schema of Set A?

Can you explain what you mean with "You should include the elements of the schema that you need to build your relationship from the feature class and table, including the revised domains. " should I add them separately?

Thanks

Badge +2

Hi @markatsafe,

thanks for reply.

So you say I should set as reader Esri XML Workspace document with dataset of Set B and as a writer .gdb with only schema of Set A?

Can you explain what you mean with "You should include the elements of the schema that you need to build your relationship from the feature class and table, including the revised domains. " should I add them separately?

Thanks

@terezia86 You're reading from Set B and replacing the data in Set A

I think you'll have:

• a reader that is reading Set B
  • a writer that writes to set A but has a Template that is an Esri XML workspace document (exported in ArcCatalog) derived from Set B.

When you export a schema in ArcCatalog, you can select what elements you want to include in the schema: Exporting a geodatabase schema to an XML workspace document

Badge

Hello @markatsafe,

thanks for your respond. I had to do it alittle bit different, because it was not working. I had to create a new GDB in ArcGis Pro and in there import a XML Schema. This GDB is now my writer. And as a reader I do use my MSSQL_JDBC_SPATIAL database (database connection).

I have bacome a few other errors, or maybe to say I need to support in other configurations.

Wenn running the workspace I cannot expose the relationships. The relationships were already created in ArcGis Pro. The feature type parameter (in writer) - geometry - is setted to geodb_relationship.

I have 1:M and also M.M relationships

How to expose theese relationships?

Thanks a lot!