Question

Jobs not finishing on FME Server

• 21 March 2013
  • 3 replies

Hey all.

I wrote an FME Workbench file that reads data from two ArcSDE Geodatabase layers residing on an Oracle database, does some processing, and then writes the resultant output to a new ArcSDE Geodatabase layer on that Oracle database.

When I run the Workbench file from my PC, it takes about one minute with no issues.

I have published it to our FME Server and when I run the jobs, they never finish.  I even let it run overnight earlier in the week and cancelled it the next morning, as it was still running 15 hours later.  I have tried a number of things to identify where the issue is.

If I disable the final link connecting to the writer transformer, the job completes and takes about 1 minute, just like on my PC.  But the moment I enable the link to that writer, it goes back to never finishing. 

I also disabled all of the transformers and just connected the writer directly to one of the readers, and it finished successfully.

This got me thinking that maybe the machine that is running the jobs on the server has memory issues or something else technical like that, so I changed both readers to only read one record.  Even in this case, by just sending one record through the workspace, the jobs will not complete on the Server.

If I modify the Workbench file in any way so that it will not output any information (and therefore not make use of the writer), the jobs always finish in a reasonable amount of time.  This leads me to believe that the issue is with the writer because it only seems to fail after going through my workspace and attempting to write data, but I'm at a complete loss as to what I should even be looking at while trying to debug this issue.

I realize it's unlikely I've provided you all with enough information to solve my problem, but do you have any ideas as to what the issue may be?

One other thing to note is that my PC has FME 2012, and on the FME Server we have FME 2012 SP3.  I'm working on getting SP3 to my machine right now.  Is it possible that the issue exists because the Workbench file was created in 2012 and is running on 2012 SP3?

Thanks

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

have you looked at the FME log on the server? It ought to give you some indication where the time is spent. Consider uploading it somewhere (e.g. Dropbox etc) and posting the link here so we can take a look.

David
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi Tim

Just to echo what David said - the FME log would really help here but I understand it may not be easy to share that with the community.  I created a support case for this issue just now and emailed you from support. We'll try to get to the bottom of this slow down and share the findings with community.

Thanks

Ken
Userlevel 4
Hi,

it seems that your FME Server is a 64-bit version, is that true for your desktop version as well?

If your FME Desktop is 32-bit, I'd start by troubleshooting any potential issues there. See this article as a starting point.

David