Question

dgn file greater in size does not show any element in Microstation

• 1 September 2016
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi I have many dgn files (Version 8) that I am processing and writing again to DGN format. (Tags are read and written)

The problem is with the larger files created by FME, when opened in Microstation, there are no element in it (blank file). The same file if I open in Data Inspector, the elements are present and can be viewed.

There are no issues with the file less then 3MB.

I know there is a limitation of 32MB with mircostation v8 files but my files are less then 15 MB

Any thought?

Regards

Zubair

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I have a few thoughts, particularly based on how you can see the data in the Data Inspector but not MicroStation:

- You are using Fit to View, right? I know it's obvious, but FME probably doesn't set the default view to be where the elements are. And you do have the levels turned on in the display!

- What color are the elements? I know that the default white color in MicroStation makes it look like there are no features when you open the data in the Data Inspector. So maybe you have the opposite problem?

- What type of elements are they? Maybe they are elements (like mesh) that we don't support? Although if you see them in FME that shouldn't be an issue.

- Do the features have transparency set? Are they set as "deleted" or their visibility is set to no? You should be able to find that out by looking at their attributes in the data inspector

- I think you're wrong about file size. V7 has a 32mb size limit, but V8 is limited only by the operating system (probably 4gb). So I wouldn't worry about that. I don't think there's a specific feature size limit either, so large polygons wouldn't be an issue.

I know these are quite a range of different ideas, but it could be a lot of different possibilities. That includes the possibility that it's a bug in FME. If you still can't get it working, please do send your workspace/data to our support team for their help (safe.com/support)

Hope this helps

Mark

Badge +1

I have a few thoughts, particularly based on how you can see the data in the Data Inspector but not MicroStation:

- You are using Fit to View, right? I know it's obvious, but FME probably doesn't set the default view to be where the elements are. And you do have the levels turned on in the display!

- What color are the elements? I know that the default white color in MicroStation makes it look like there are no features when you open the data in the Data Inspector. So maybe you have the opposite problem?

- What type of elements are they? Maybe they are elements (like mesh) that we don't support? Although if you see them in FME that shouldn't be an issue.

- Do the features have transparency set? Are they set as "deleted" or their visibility is set to no? You should be able to find that out by looking at their attributes in the data inspector

- I think you're wrong about file size. V7 has a 32mb size limit, but V8 is limited only by the operating system (probably 4gb). So I wouldn't worry about that. I don't think there's a specific feature size limit either, so large polygons wouldn't be an issue.

I know these are quite a range of different ideas, but it could be a lot of different possibilities. That includes the possibility that it's a bug in FME. If you still can't get it working, please do send your workspace/data to our support team for their help (safe.com/support)

Hope this helps

Mark

Hi Mark - Thanks for the quick reply, I have already verified all the options you have suggested above. But it seems to be file size issue as files smaller than 3MB is OK. Or It could be with the tags.

As suggested I have reported this case to safe support (C119391).

Hope will have a quick response.

Regards

Zubair