Question

Setting PDF scale

• 23 September 2013
  • 5 replies

Hello,

when exporting data to a PDF writer how can i set the scale? For example, when doing a simple translation from geotiff to PDF, but with the scale 1:50.000.

Thanks

5 replies

Badge +14
You'll need to hard clip your data so that the 'extents' of the image that ends up in PDF matches your required scale. Any data sent to PDF is scaled based on it's physical extents.
Badge +3
You can calculate that.

I have an extensive pdf writer workbench that does that pretty neatly; fixed and extentdriven scale. Datagrid extraction etc., logo's and whatmore. Big bench..lol.

To fit your map in pdf worldspace you need to set required scale, extract boundingbox and calculate aspectratio and then relate to map- and paperspace taking into account your paperformat like A3, A4 etc. You'll want to have your map fit the paper...

No need to hardclip...i find that counterintuitive to such a nice program as FME is.

Badge +14
Gio - That sounds like a great article to add to FMEPedia and expand on what's already there on this topic:

http://fmepedia.safe.com/articles/Samples_and_Demos/Creating-PDF-Cartographic-Output

I'm sure Safe would post your process and article if you were to send it to them as it sounds very valuable for others to learn from your approach!
Badge +3
Hi 1Spatial,

I will put some effort in it.

Need to adapt some text, as half of it is Dutch.

I also was further developing this bench to make it more generic. Adding userparamters for all the different variables one can set etc.

Will let you know.

greetings

Gio
Gio, thank you so much for your trying on "Adding userparamters for all the different variables one can set etc". It will really help use create customized PDF processing application.

Looking forward to your further good news.