Question

few questions about the osgb file

• 17 December 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hello

I've been working with osgb file for a while, we were using arcgis pro and the build-in fme , back then when 2.0/2.1 it was fine. Now come to 2.2 even 2.3 beta it just stop giving out the right result.

Even switch to a full fme workbench the problem still exists.

We are sure that the osgb file is intact and we understand that it may be more of an arcgis problem then an fme problem.

We've tried to convert the osgb file to slpk, to geodatabase and to obj all failed.

For slpk, it does generate an output file but can't be open or showed in neither arcgis pro nor online portal.

By the way, if we use arcgis's gp tools for slpk, it crashed.

For geodatabase, there is a certain problem.

We all know that a full osgb file contains many tiles and each tile contains many layers. The fme dose recognize all tiles but it automatically choose and only choose the first layer to transform. In the result we have a very blur and not-LOD model that cannot be used at all.

If we manually pick out the high level layers to transform, say L23, then it's ok, no good as the original but is ok.

If we choose both L22 and L23, the fme still only want the lower one.

To obj is the same problem, we have to manually choose high level layers to get a clear picture.

Could someone help us to improve this, please?

Thank you.

3 replies

Badge

One more thing, though successfully got into a geodatabase, further transform is not an option cause the fme can't read a geodatabase with multiPatch

The exact warning log is as fallow:

FileGDB Reader: Feature class 'xxx' has shape type 'esriGeometryMultiPatch' which is unknown to FME. Skipping feature class

Can this be solved in future version?

Badge

Since you haven'y reply yet. Should let you know that FME 2019.0 have successfully produced a usable slpk file, both 3d object and terrain mesh type, from osgb file. But it can't be loaded to arcgis portal.

We also test some other formats into slpk, so far only obj failed, for lots of token unsupported .

Badge +8

Hi @karltk,

Some clarification:

To read multipatch with FME Desktop please read and write using Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb), this reader-writer is based on ArcObjects. I have done some testing and all multi-path geometry can be read without any error with this reader.

I believe you are using gdb Esri Geodatabase (File Geodb Open API) which is does not support multipatch.

Can you also clarify how are you trying to publish the data to ArcGIS Portal i.e. Using FME Desktop or directly from ArcGIS Pro?

Can you also give it a try with ArcGIS Pro 2.3?

If the issue still exists, please file a support ticket here https://www.safe.com/support/report-a-problem/ and we can try to help resolve the issue. Please provide your sample data to try and reproduce the issue.

- Rahul