Question

AGOL WRITER UPDATES BUT DOESN'T DELETE OR INSERT

• 29 August 2016
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

I am using the latest FME 2016.1.1. I am trying to update features in AGOL and it updates existing features but it doesn't delete or insert new entries. Anyone know why this would be happening I am stumped. I have my AGOL writer set to UPDATE. Is there a setting somewhere I am missing?

6 replies

Badge +9

Hi @gisgeek you need to set the db_operation for each of your entries depending on whether you want to insert /update or delete a feature. You can do this from the attirbute creator. Check out this article and example workspace it provides the complete solution you can copy

https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/19302/how-do-i-write-updates-to-an-existing-arcgis-onlin.html

Badge +16

Yes that is correct setting the writer as opposed to the writer feature type or features will result in one operation (update) and not in an operation per writer features type or per feature

Badge +3

I have done this already with my set up. I think it may be AGOL side. I am the owner of the data but I get this message: Its owner may have disabled inserting or editing features bla bla bla. But I have enabled editing in AGOL so not having much luck here. It updates existing values which is cool but no inserts are happening which I need

Badge +9

I have done this already with my set up. I think it may be AGOL side. I am the owner of the data but I get this message: Its owner may have disabled inserting or editing features bla bla bla. But I have enabled editing in AGOL so not having much luck here. It updates existing values which is cool but no inserts are happening which I need

Did you accidentally change the editing settings in AGOL? There is one there that only allows you up update I think. Though I think the default is Add/update and delete features.

What happens when you only try to add inserts with the writer mode as insert? does it give the same error?

Badge +3

I managed to get it to write now when I run it again it won't update by changing some settings in AGOL. I get the error code from the server was 1019 and the message was: The specified feature could not be updated or does not exist. The data is dynamic so it is important that it updates but doesn't work when I run the workbench again. I have no idea what a 1019 error code is.

Badge +9

I managed to get it to write now when I run it again it won't update by changing some settings in AGOL. I get the error code from the server was 1019 and the message was: The specified feature could not be updated or does not exist. The data is dynamic so it is important that it updates but doesn't work when I run the workbench again. I have no idea what a 1019 error code is.

So now you can insert and it's not updating any longer? Did you truncate your original data maybe? Sounds like the error means it can't find a matching objectid on the data in question to perform any updates. I assume you are merging the objectid from the existing feature in agol as you had the update working previously.