Question

Oracle clients 32 and 64bit on same machine

• 2 November 2018
  • 1 reply

Badge +6

Hi all,

I have installed Oracle clients 12.1 32 and 64bit on same machine and I can run my workspaces successfully (using FME 2017 32 bit or FME 2018 64bit)

However for other users the Oracle formats are greyed out in your Formats Gallery. Also they are unable to run the same workspaces. They can however connect successfully to the Oracle DB using SQLDeveloper

I have the following entries in PATH environment system variable:

C:\\oracle\\product\\12.1.0\\client_2;C:\\oracle\\product\\12.1.0\\client_1 etc...

I also have TNS_ADMIN system variable pointing to a network path

Any ideas?

1 reply

Badge +2

Hi @sunsilk11, Thanks for your question.

Just want to make sure I understand your scenario correctly: Are the other users who see Oracle formats grayed out using the same machine as you, but logged in as different users?

If that's the case, the problem is likely related to the user's permission to access some of the Oracle format's dependencies, such as the Instant client install path.

Also, I found this article that includes some instructions for having both 32-bit and 64-bit Oracle and FME configured. One thing that caught my attention is that ORACLE_HOME should not be defined. The article also included some troubleshooting tips.

If you are still having trouble. These following would help us further diagnose the problem. Would be great if you could share them:
  • The report from troubleshooting.bat (detail availble at the end of the above linked article)
  • Log file produced when the other users try to run the workspace (with Oracle format), and fails.

(Troubleshooting report include some system info of your computer, if you have concern about sharing that publicly, please raise a case, to send us these details. And feel free to reference this Q&A link for context)