Solved

LAZ 1.4 is not yet supported ... when will it be ? ... LAZ 1.4 was released in march on https://laszip.org/

Badge

Version 2018 of FME supports LAZ 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 but not LAZ 1.4 that was released on https://laszip.org/

icon

Best answer by fmelizard 23 June 2018, 00:06

View original

14 replies

Badge
A lot of LIDAR users are now using LAS 1.4 that has large benefits over older LAS versions ... and it would be great FME supports the new compression LAZ 1.4 format

see : https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-do-i-access-usgs-lidar-data-laz-14-format

Badge
I tried with FME 2018.1 beta build 18462 ... and it's not yet supported

message from FME :

LAS writer: Compression is not currently supported for point format 7. The file will not be compressed. To enforce a point format that supports compression, change the version to 1.4-legacy-compatible or earlier

Badge
It's not great to go to 1.4-legacy compatible ... as if we do so, we loose information from the LAS 1.4 format

Badge
I guess FME is using liblas ? ... found this info on https://liblas.org/

As of 2018, libLAS has been replaced by the PDAL project and it is in hibernation or maintenance mode. libLAS does not provide support for LAS or LAZ 1.4, which PDAL does

Userlevel 1
Badge +18

As a workaround you could use las-tools in a systemcaller to do the decompression and / or compression.

Badge

Thanks for the workaround ... it will help waiting it to be in next FME release with LAZ 1.4 support

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @mriedo, our very latest FME 2018.1 betas now have support for LAZ 1.4. Download the beta here to try it out!

Badge
I tried it out ! It works great. You guys are incredible. Thanks so much !

Badge

Hi @mriedo, our very latest FME 2018.1 betas now have support for LAZ 1.4. Download the beta here to try it out!

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Wonderful to hear! Happy FME-ing :)
Badge

Hi,

After detailed analysis from Martin Isenburg who developped LAZ compression, there seems to be 2 problems with the FME implementation of LAZ 1.4

(1) Unpopulated extended_number_of_points_by_return

(2) Extended classification codes disappear / get remapped.

Could you please get in touch with Martin at info@rapidlasso.com for more information or send me a contact person ?

Badge +2
Hi,

After detailed analysis from Martin Isenburg who developped LAZ compression, there seems to be 2 problems with the FME implementation of LAZ 1.4

Could you please get in touch with Martin at info@rapidlasso.com for more information or send me a contact person ?

Hi @mriedo, Thank you very much for your latest feedback here. We appreciate you spending time informing us of these shortcomings. We will be looking into them, and follow up with you.
Badge
Hi,

Hi,

The problem 1 was solved in last beta version 18154

The problem 2 was not a bug ... but a bad manipulation on my side

So you can SAFEly use FME to compress/decompress LAZ 1.4

Thanks SAFE !!!

Badge +2
Hi,

The problem 1 was solved in last beta version 18154

The problem 2 was not a bug ... but a bad manipulation on my side

So you can SAFEly use FME to compress/decompress LAZ 1.4

Thanks SAFE !!!

Thanks @mriedo for the update! The latest beta build 18514 is currently available to download as beta, soon to be released.