Question

Writing to an ArcSDE Versioned table - where did my edits go?

• 3 June 2013
  • 7 replies

Badge
So I'm simply trying to update a versioned table (happens to be non-spatial) in my ArcSDE database.  The table exists now in SDE, I just want to truncate it and replace it with a whole new set of records every so often.

Everything seems to run correctly in the log, but when I go view the table, even under my version (the one I used in the writer), all the old records are there like nothing ever happened.  It says it wrote them, where did they go?  So not only did it not truncate the table like I told it to, it didn't write the new records either.

If it matters, I've tried using both SDE writers with the same result.  Tried using the Insert vs Update parameter, same result.  Tried using the SDE default version instead of my own, same result.  This is a 10.0 SQL database, but I have 10.1 loaded on my desktop.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

I'm really just guessing here, but it might be the "truncate table" option that isn't properly handled by SDE. I would try without it first to check that the new records are written.

If that is the case, consider replacing the truncate table option with an update table where db_operation = "DELETE" on all the existing records.

David
Badge
Nope, that wasn't it.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

It's a non-spatial table, maybe I should go around SDE and just write it via SQL...I'd like to know how to do this though for future projects, they say it can be done!
Badge
Just thought I'd update if anyone cares.  It turns out my version, since it doesn't own the table in the database, can't truncate a table according to SDE.  When I tried using the owner as the user and log-in, it truncated just fine but couldn't update the records.  *face palm*

So then as we were talking here we said, "Well, does that table really need to be versioned?"  The answer was no.  Unversioniong the table and using the table's owner as the user was the work-around.

So the combination of a typical Version plus Truncate does not compute apparently.  Not sure if there's another answer to this question, but for today, this answer works.

any updates on this issues..

Badge +2

any updates on this issues..

Hi @venu, Are you interested in update because you are having a similar problem? It looks like kmeinert had narrowed down the issue to ownership/permission of the user and version. If you are having similar struggles, it's probably best to post a new question, with details regarding your sepecific sceario. That will give your issue more visibility, and you might get the help you needed faster. Thanks!

Hi @venu, Are you interested in update because you are having a similar problem? It looks like kmeinert had narrowed down the issue to ownership/permission of the user and version. If you are having similar struggles, it's probably best to post a new question, with details regarding your sepecific sceario. That will give your issue more visibility, and you might get the help you needed faster. Thanks!

Hi @XiaomengAtSafe, he was unregistered the table and writing into it. In my case I need with versioned edit.Thanks..

Badge

Hi @XiaomengAtSafe, he was unregistered the table and writing into it. In my case I need with versioned edit.Thanks..

Hi @venu, Are you working with an Oracle database? May be this article will help you out: http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/manage-data/gdbs-in-oracle/version-storage-oracle.htm Look for the delta tables (adds and deletes tables).