Solved

Is the IFC entities are case senstive?

• 13 March 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge

Greetings for the day,

Can anyone please help me to know that IFC entities are case sensitive or not.

For example, if I use “ifcproduct” or “IfcProduct” instead of “IFCPRODUCT” in .ifc file it is right or not.

Thank you.
icon

Best answer by jovitaatsafe 13 March 2019, 22:12

View original

6 replies

Badge +7

As far as I know, this is the case (pun intended), yes :)

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @sidhucivil5932,

Thanks for your question! I believe it is case sensitive, and the general rule seems to be camel casing, where the first letter of the word is capitalized like IfcProduct. I ran a quick test changing the casing writing out to IFC and the geometry disappears. The same output with differing casing doesn't read properly in an IFC viewer like DDS-CAD either. Here's some links to check out to read more on it:

Badge

Hi @sidhucivil5932,

Thanks for your question! I believe it is case sensitive, and the general rule seems to be camel casing, where the first letter of the word is capitalized like IfcProduct. I ran a quick test changing the casing writing out to IFC and the geometry disappears. The same output with differing casing doesn't read properly in an IFC viewer like DDS-CAD either. Here's some links to check out to read more on it:

Thank you @jovitaatsafe for your help.

I will definatly go through these links.

Badge

As far as I know, this is the case (pun intended), yes :)

Thank you @sander.

Badge

Greetings for the day,

When we create or export IFC file all the entities are in "uppercase" format.

I used IFCOPENSHELL and PYTHON to extract some of the entities from the IFC file and I got the resulting IFC file after extraction having entities in "camelcase" which is before extraction in "caps case". Why?

Also, IFC file having entities in camelcase (which I got after extraction) is not opening in viewers like SOLIBRI MODEL VIEWER and DDS-CAD.

Please help me to understand these.

Thank you.

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Greetings for the day,

When we create or export IFC file all the entities are in "uppercase" format.

I used IFCOPENSHELL and PYTHON to extract some of the entities from the IFC file and I got the resulting IFC file after extraction having entities in "camelcase" which is before extraction in "caps case". Why?

Also, IFC file having entities in camelcase (which I got after extraction) is not opening in viewers like SOLIBRI MODEL VIEWER and DDS-CAD.

Please help me to understand these.

Thank you.

I checked in with a colleague, and my apologies for the confusion. In your workspace in FME Workbench, it should be camelcase, but in the IFC file itself, the feature types are all uppercase.

There's a bit more information on casing from this forum here on IFC.