Solved

Anyone connecting to Oracle Cloud for EiS, HCM and Financial Management solutions.

I'm trying to connect to Oracle cloud for the human resources and financial management services. So far, I am not having any luck. Has anyone been able to set up these connections? If we could connect to the existing EiS reports that would be a fine work around but as far as I can tell we can not have the EiS reports automatically load into a FTP site where we could grab them.

We are currently using FME 2017 but are fine upgrading if a new version is needed. Any advice or help wold be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by markatsafe 22 June 2018, 17:09

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi @tmoreland. Are you using FME? If yes, what version?

Yes. We are using FME 2017 but have no problem upgrading to 2018 if needed.

Hi @tmoreland. Are you using FME? If yes, what version?

Yes. We are using FME 2017 but have no problem upgrading to 2018 if needed.

Badge +11
@tmoreland, If this is simply an Oracle database in the Oracle Cloud it is possible to connect. It does take some figuring out to get the correct service name, and possibly complicated by pluggable databases (containers). However, if this is some sort of service provided by Oracle through API calls then it may not be something we can do as easily as connecting to a Database. Do you have any information on what sort of connections you are thinking you can make to these systems?

What applications do you use now to connect to these systems? Can you make a connect with Oracle's SQLDeveloper tool?

(Many applications do use APIs to read/write & connect to the Oracle Services in the Cloud, this masks the databases behind the scenes. So it may be a tall order determining the underlying Database that you may not even be permitted to connect to directly) .

Badge +2

@tmoreland I thought I might try and summarize some of options you have for connecting to a enterprise databases such as an EIS or CMS.

- Direct connect to the Oracle. As @SteveAtSafe mentions, once you get the connection, you're then looking at the raw database tables and you'll have to join the appropriate tables using FME transformers such FeatureJoiner or SQLExecutor. Your DBA is unlikely to favour this approach.

- Convince your DBA to create a materialized view of the report that you want. Then you can connect to that view directly with FME.

- investigate whether your EiS offers an API (REST or SOAP). FME's HTTPCaller can then be used to retrieve the data you need.

- In some cases you might be able to automate the creation of the reports through FME. Often these reports are created through a web page, and it is sometimes possible to use the HTTPCaller to generate the reports, which you can then automate.