Question

Extracting ECW header information

• 29 September 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi!

I have a problem with a ECW Raster. When I try to write to ECW I get the Log information "ECW writer: The datum in coordinate system 'RAW' is unsupported. The resulting file will be bave no datum."

So i assume FME somehow reads this 'RAW' information from the ECW header. How can I read this information into my workflow so that i could edit it somehow in the process.

I've tried to set the correct coordinate system and so on but it didn't worked out.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Depends where you tried to set the coordinate system. If it was the writer, I don't think that's the best place. Try a CoordinateSystemSetter transformer. That might do the trick.

Badge

Hi!

Thanks for the answer.

I've tried to set up the correct coord.system in the reader and also in the writer. none of it did it right.

The coordinateSystemSetter brings 50% of the solution as it overwrites the projection "RAW" value with the correct EPSG, but not the DATUM "RAW". So thats why I thought about accessing the header info and overrule it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi!

Thanks for the answer.

I've tried to set up the correct coord.system in the reader and also in the writer. none of it did it right.

The coordinateSystemSetter brings 50% of the solution as it overwrites the projection "RAW" value with the correct EPSG, but not the DATUM "RAW". So thats why I thought about accessing the header info and overrule it.

I'm not sure how it would set the projection but not the datum. Can you file this as a case with our support team? safe.com/support is the address to go to. They will be able to ask the raster developers directly if there is something to be done.

Badge +1

I want to modify which attributes I get when reading OSM data.

For example I want to see the "generator:source" tag as an attribute in the power feature.

I can add it as an atribute to all features by adding it to the list of attributes near the top of "fme_map_features_config.xml" as follows:

<fme_osm_config>
<add>
<geom_type name="aggregate"></geom_type>
<geom_type .....

<attribute name="id" type="string"></attribute>
<attribute name="timestamp" type="string"></attribute>
<attribute name ........
my addition->   <attribute name="generator:source" type="string"></attribute>

But there is a section further down for the power feature that looks like this:

<key k="power">
<value v="cable"></value>
<value v="cable_distribution_cabinet"></value>
<value v="catenary_mast"></value>
<value ......
</key>

Can I edit this section so that "generator:source" appears as an attribute in the power feature only?  I have played around with all sorts of syntax but can't get the result I want.

Badge

Hi, I have been experiencing the same problem in that when trying to reproject an ECW I get the following error message:

"ECW writer: The datum in coordinate system 'RAW' is unsupported. The resulting file will be bave no datum."

I added the CoordinateSystemSetter after the reprojection transformers and this did not work either with the same error message appearing. However, when I added an Inspector out of the CoordinateSystemSetter (and made no other changes to the workflow) the reprojection did work! This seems quite strange and so I am wondering if there is some sort of bug?

Sorry for the late response. I wasn't able to answer earlier...

Thats what I've got back from FME Support:

The standard ECW Projection and Datum codes allow only a relatively small set of the most common projections and datums.

If FME cannot map your output coordinate system to one of the available projections, it writes the EPSG code of coordinate systems instead, which is is a commonly accepted alternative.

If FME cannot map to a standard datum, it sets the datum to 'RAW' instead, and provides a warning in the log file. Since the EPSG number in the Projection inherently includes the datum information, this is usually not a problem when reading the resulting ECW file.

You can find a list of the standard ECW datums at 'http://www.pcigeomatics.com/geomatica-help/references/gdb_r/gdb4n170.html'