Question

Creating Tables from Excel

• 24 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi,

I have an Excel spreadsheet that has thousands of rows that need to be grouped by a couple of columns/attributes, then each grouping written to their own respective fan-out spreadsheet. I've accomplished creating reports by using the HTMLReportGenerator, then writing each report to an emailer. So, I need to accomplish what the ReportGenerator can do - group by attributes and create tables - but I need the results written to either individual spreadsheets or as tables in individual Word documents. Any ideas on what Transformers will give me the grouped Features to write to individual files?

3 replies

Badge +10

Use aggregator to group by the columns you want them to be grouped with. Depending on what attributes that you need to keep or do analyses you will likely use need to check the box for List, expose elements of this list in the aggregate if not use the Attribute Exposer. As for your output, use the same attribute values as your sheet names for your excel writer to create separate worksheets for each group. For more details, just follow @Mark's link on his comment.

Badge +2

@jmhomza There is a tutorial on using FME with Excel and the article Fanout takes this s little further to show how to create separate sheets (Feature Type Fanout) or separate files (Dataset Fanout)

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

I guess that you have two or more tables within a single spreadsheet, and the point of the question seems to be how to separate them into individual tables. Am I right?