Question

Point Clouds and calculations

• 4 November 2018
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

Hi,

I have a big csv file with point data (over 300 million points and z values for a 18 year timerange) , it represent the depth of a lake but the depth measures are made in different years. Some parts are measured once in the hole time range but other parts measured more than one time. From this file I have to made different raster datasets, one of them is the “Last measured depth”. I can read the csv with a CSV reader and made the calculation (See png, “Actual_Value” show the last measured depth and “Jaar” the year where the measuring took place). But reading the csv takes a lot of time and I prefer the efficiency of the “Point Cloud XYZ reader”. With the Point Cloud XYZ reader it is possible to read this big csv real fast but I can only read one z value. My question is, is there a way to use the Point Cloud XYZ reader and do the calculation for the last measured value in the same run? Or is there another way to handle such large data files in FME?

1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

You can use the PointCloudComponentRenamer to rename any component to 'z' so that the component value would be treated as z-component, after reading the dataset with the Point Cloud XYZ reader.