Solved

Problem with texture images (.skp)

• 31 January 2019
  • 8 replies

Hello everybody. I added texture images to building walls in sketchup, and then I tried to transform .skp file to CityGML using FME. Transformation went successful, HOWEVER, FME doesn't save pictures the way I set them to fit the wall, it just saves the original picture as if I didn't do all the work with fitting and rotating the picture. Can anybody help me? Thank you!

icon

Best answer by daveatsafe 2 February 2019, 01:06

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Hi @ljubisajurosevi,

Does the output CityGML look correctly textured in the FME Data Inspector? When you inspect the input sketchup file do the textures look correct?

Hi @ljubisajurosevi,

Does the output CityGML look correctly textured in the FME Data Inspector? When you inspect the input sketchup file do the textures look correct?

FME Inspector is where I've seen that the texture isn't ok. Sketchup input is correct, though.

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

FME Inspector is where I've seen that the texture isn't ok. Sketchup input is correct, though.

So the data inspector shows the skp file looking good but the output file looks bad in the inspector?

Or does the skp file look bad in the inspector from the start?

So the data inspector shows the skp file looking good but the output file looks bad in the inspector?

Or does the skp file look bad in the inspector from the start?

I'm working with @ljubisajurosevi at the project.

And yes, the data inspector shows the sketchup file correctly. When the file is exported to cityGML, the textures are not positioned correctly.

The .skp file and exported CityGML file in FME Data Inspector.

I checked the appearance folder, and it basically just copies the Images from the Materials (in sketchup), but it does not crop them/fit them onto the surface. (Because we have taken pictures of the object, and then corrected their position for each surface).

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

I'm working with @ljubisajurosevi at the project.

And yes, the data inspector shows the sketchup file correctly. When the file is exported to cityGML, the textures are not positioned correctly.

The .skp file and exported CityGML file in FME Data Inspector.

I checked the appearance folder, and it basically just copies the Images from the Materials (in sketchup), but it does not crop them/fit them onto the surface. (Because we have taken pictures of the object, and then corrected their position for each surface).

Ahhh I see, that doesn't look like much fun!

Something seems to be going wrong here. If you could share the skp file I could take a quick look to see if I see the same thing. I think this should be something which FME just handles, so it could be some kind of shortcoming

Ahhh I see, that doesn't look like much fun!

Something seems to be going wrong here. If you could share the skp file I could take a quick look to see if I see the same thing. I think this should be something which FME just handles, so it could be some kind of shortcoming

It was fun until it stopped going smoothly :D

Yeah, I have it on my drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tQslEtdv-Kz1NiSG-tIF2Nrk0VtgdATe/view?usp=sharing

Thank you for looking into it!

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @ljubisajurosevi,

The Sketchup file you supplied has u, v and q texture coordinates, while CityGML only supports u and v texture coordinates. The CityGML writer is supposed to automatically convert these coordinates, but doesn't appear to doing so. I have created a problem report for the writer, and will notify you as soon as it is fixed.

In the meantime, I am attaching a workspace that will convert the coordinates before writing to CityGML.

skp2citygml.fmw

Hi @ljubisajurosevi,

The Sketchup file you supplied has u, v and q texture coordinates, while CityGML only supports u and v texture coordinates. The CityGML writer is supposed to automatically convert these coordinates, but doesn't appear to doing so. I have created a problem report for the writer, and will notify you as soon as it is fixed.

In the meantime, I am attaching a workspace that will convert the coordinates before writing to CityGML.

skp2citygml.fmw

Dave, this workspace solved the problem. Thank you very much!!!