Question

Special Charcaters in Access MDB file writer

• 17 October 2013
  • 3 replies

I have a attribute name Unit # and the writer makes it and underscore. Is there a way to write out the special characters?

Thanks,

Chad

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

seems like FME is a tad too agressive on the renaming, as "Unit #" is actually a valid field name in Access. Consider sending the case to Safe support if it's important to you.

On the other hand, I personally don't think it's a good idea to ever use spaces or special characters in field names. It has a tendency to always come back and bite you later, so I'd urge you to consider adopting something like "unit_no" instead.

Google "database field name conventions" for more ideas, there has been a lot written on the subject :-)

David
I agree on the special character as a bad field name, but the client sent me a template and I had to make mine match.

Thanks,

Chad
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi Chad,

I understand your situation.

However, a field name containing some special characters is invalid in some softwares, not only FME. For example, a field name containing # cannot be defined in ESRI Geodatabase.

If the template could be modified through discussing with your client, I think changing the field name would be the best solution for the future.

Good luck! Takashi