Question

Downgrade or choose version of FFS?

• 22 November 2012
  • 4 replies

Badge +21
I am often using a new version of FME  (FME2013 Beta) and stores intermediate files as FFS. The problem is that I can not store in an older version FFS which I can open in FME2012, or even FME2011. So I have to save to shape or some other non-SAFE format. Any workaround?

4 replies

I guess it could be difficult to store your data with an older FFS version.

What type of data are you referring to: vector/raster, 'normal' attributes/lists?

Regards,

Klaas
Badge +21
Well, mostly "normal" vectors - however some of them might also be quite complex. I guess there are some improvements on the FFS-format from for instance 2010 to 2013 that deals with complex geometry. Regarding attributes I can usually give them an ID and add attributes at the end.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
There is no provision in the code to write out  older FFS versions. I have sometimes wished for this myself (for cross-version testing), but the code to write the older versions simply isn't there anymore. 

The best thing to do is to find another, non-Safe format. The choice of format would depend largely on the actual content of your data. (I tend to go for MIF, because I can view it in a text editor, but it isn't so good for some complex data.)

Badge +5

Similar request here. I created an idea.