Question

Specify PostGIS encoding other than current system encoding

I'm trying to use views/tables from a PostGIS database that uses the encoding UTF-8, while my system encoding is ISO-8859-1 / Latin-1.

It works alright until some views named using exotic letters are run through e.g. the LineOnLineOverlayer transformer, which produces a Python Unicode Error (ordinal out of range).

Can I somehow specify in the FME PostGIS reader that the database uses another encoding, or should I submit this behaviour as a bug report?

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Could you post the relevant error messages here? That would help.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13

I think if you could please also post (or send to support@safe.com) the workspace that you have that generates this. I also wonder if flipping your python to use 3.x as the interpretter might get your further (python 3 is unicode friendlier than 2). All that said, this exact situation is something we're gearing up to fix once and for all in FME 2019 so your evidence would be very helpful -- and we'd try to advise you on a workaround in the meantime).

Sorry you hit this.

I think if you could please also post (or send to support@safe.com) the workspace that you have that generates this. I also wonder if flipping your python to use 3.x as the interpretter might get your further (python 3 is unicode friendlier than 2). All that said, this exact situation is something we're gearing up to fix once and for all in FME 2019 so your evidence would be very helpful -- and we'd try to advise you on a workaround in the meantime).

Sorry you hit this.

Thanks for your response and tips. Unfortunately I had already changed a lot in the workspace and installed a more recent version of FME and wasn't able to reproduce the problem anymore. If I do encounter the issue again I will make sure to send as much information as possible your way :)