Question

Reading from backups

• 28 November 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have an interesting dilemma and was hoping to get an idea of how FME peoples would approach it. I have an Oracle 12c DW with multiple data sources being loaded into it (FME is handling these well so far). However I have a data source with some interesting restrictions...it is a MSSQL 2008 data source that (for a variety of reasons) I can't directly connect to and the only manner in which I can get this data is via it's scheduled backups. Backups are done as a weekly full backup and incremental backups for each day until the next full weekly backup.

As far as I'm aware, FME is unable to read these backups directly (please correct me if I'm wrong there) and I would have to restore these backups to an intermediate MSSQL server and then I can connect to that using FME as I have for the other data sources. This incurs a cost (sql server license and hardware) that I'm not entirely sure if my client is willing to absorb. Are there any other viable techniques I can use here?

**There is no spatial data here fortunately, just transaction rows. Decent volume but not huge, around 35gb of data (350m rows)

2 replies

Userlevel 4

I have no first hand experience with SQLServer backup files, but the thought of reading a database backup file outside the database infrastructure gives me a bad vibe. Incremental backups even more so.

Would it be possible to ask your client to dump the table as e.g. a CSV while they do their nightly backups? That would make it a lot easier to deal with.

Some ideas here: https://stackoverflow.com/a/14266993

Userlevel 5
Badge +25

+1 to what @david_r said, see if you can get them to provide a CSV dump and read that.