Question

Change ouput format of datetime in Excel_ADO Writer?

• 31 October 2013
  • 2 replies

Hi!

How do I change the output format "datetime" in Excel_ADO writer?

In the reader the date is on YYYY-MM-DD format but when i'm writing it into Excel_ADO the format changes to YYYYMMDD000000, probably on the format YYMMDDHHMMSS.

How can I get the Excel_ADO writer to print it in the ouput file on YYYY-MM-DD format instead?

Best regards

Christer

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi Christer,

As far as I know, database writers (e.g. SQL Server) convert automatically a datetime string formatted in YYYYmmdd / YYYYmmddHHMMSS to a datetime value, when writing the value into datetime type field.   I tested Excel writer in FME 2013 SP4, Windows Xp SP3.

Input datetime string format is YYYYmmddHHMMSS in all cases.

Results:

1) XLS_ADO writer, Excel version 97/2000/2002/2003 (*.xls)

Writer User Attribute Type = datetime

The value is written as a datetime value. But the field format cannot be specified in FME, it has to be modified manually after writing if necessary.

2) XLS_ADO writer, Excel version 2007 (*.xlsx)

The value is written as a character string. Why?

3) XLSXW writer (new Excel writer added in FME 2013 SP2)

The value is written as a datetime value, and also the field format (e.g. yyyy-mm-dd) can be specified in the writer feature type dialog box.

Traditional XLS_ADO writer is currently deprecated. I recommend you to use new XLSXW writer, if possible.

Takashi
Badge
Hi,

Having just specified the date format for a lot of dates in my workspace, I really miss a way of specifying the default date format for writing to Excel.

Regards,

Steinar