Question

FME to PostGIS

• 2 April 2015
  • 3 replies

Badge
Hey guys, new to PostGIS world and looking for some input.

I've worked with Oracle and SQL Server in years past but always had DBA's who maintained "strict" control over their turf. Now that I consult on my own and am building my own systems in RDS on AWS Postgresql with PostGIS enabled is a no brainer.

I can successfully load, see, and manage my shapefile in the PostGIS. In fact, when I add the data back into FME as a reader is shows up flawlessly.

The issue I am having deals with ArcGIS. I get one of two errors depending on the innumerable amount of things I've tried. Mostly it's "The specified coordinate exceeds the valid coordinate range." The PostGIS database connection in ArcCatalog shows it as a "line" feature and the properties show the correct SRID. 

Any help or feedback would be appreciated being new to the PostGIS world.

Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Hi,

make sure that the geometries you write to your PostGIS table is properly projected to the coordinate system that was specified for the table. This could, for example, be due to writing features in LatLong when the table is in meters, etc. PostGIS is much more accepting than ArcGIS formats when it comes to stuff like this, which can cause some errors downstream.

I would recommend using e.g. QGIS (http://www.qgis.org/) to read the table contents and check that the feature coordinates are within range of your coordinate system.

David
Badge
Hey David,

I did the basic troubleshooting, forcing a Projected Coordinate System, going with a geographic CS (WGS84), etc. I tried hard-coding the GCS and ProjCS into the SRID and also leaving it blank. 

I've also tried leaving the feature class "generic" and also forcing the type (ie. a line.) Both seem to return the same CS error even though I'm doing this R&D on a small subset of data for testing. 

I have not done the "Enable Geodatabase" feature on the database in ArcCatalog as I was led to believe this was not necessary at 10.1 and up. Could this be an issue?

Badge
hi, try this one in Postgis : alter table table_name alter column geom type geometry(your_geometry_type,your_srid) using st_force2d(geom);