Skip to main content
Solved

Setting output file name for .xyz to las translation

• 9 January 2013
  • 3 replies

Hello.  I have several hundred .xyz files that I want to translate to las/laz files.  Using a reader-writer (Point Cloud XYZ- LAS) does the job:  Inputs are something like 100903_120345.xyz, 100903_120736.xyz but the output files have names like POINTCLOUDXYZ.las, POINTCLOUDXYZ_1.las and so on

What I would like to happen is for the output files to inherit the base name of the input so that the outputs would be named 100903_120345.las, 100903_120736.las etc.

I'm very new to FME so apoligies for this simple question.

Thanks

Justin.
Hi Justin,

Once you have added your Writer, add an AttributeExposer to your input and expose the attribute fme_basename. This contains the name of the input file. On your Writer make sure that the target FeatureType (the brown thing on the Workbench canvas at the end of your workflow) has on the 'General' tab the 'Fanout by Attribute' parameter ticked on and then select fme_basename as the fanout attribute. Your output file names should now mirror your input and only contain the features from each source.

Hope that helps, Dave
Hi Justin,

More information regarding "fanout" on specific attributes can be found in this great article: http://fmepedia.safe.com/articles/How_To/Fanout
Hi Dave,

Thanks for that that works a treat.

Regards

Justin.