Skip to main content
“Replacing” the results obtained from the workbench with the existing ones,

I wanted the outputs of the workbench to be replaced with the existing ones. This works fine if the “table handling” is set to be “truncate existing”.

However, if the “no existing” data is available, then the workbench fails to write the outputs.

Is there an option that can “replace” and “create” (if no existing data is available) the outputs?

Thank you

Best

Jamal

Hi Jamal,

If you set "Yes" to the "Overwrite Geodatabase" parameter of the writer (and set "Create If Needed" to the "Table Handling"), the destination dataset will be always created newly.

Is this what you are looking for?

Takashi
Many thanks Takashi for the help,

Replacing the file geodatabase itself will be introducing errors and warnings. As the one below.

“FileGDB Writer: Cannot delete 'D:\\Practical5_CAD_ArcGIS_FME\\Result\\R.gdb'.  The Geodatabase is currently locked”

I’m wondering if there is a way to REPLACE the feature classes\\tables stored in the file geodatabase but not to replace the file geodatabase itself. The advantage here is that replacing feature classes\\tables is not affected by locks and issues.

If the gdb is accessed by other application such as ArcCatalog, the gdb cannot be deleted.

Perhaps is it such a situation?
Thanks Takashi,

The data workflow at my workplace is like this

-The data is stored in SQL database to allow multiuser editing

-Each SQL database is converted to file geodatabase to have better performance when the data is published as map service. 

-Once the data is published with the fact that the source is file geodatabase, this file geodatabase can’t be replaced unless the ArcGIS Server Service is stopped.

Then my original issue here is that I need to regularly convert multiple enterprise geodatabases (SQL Server) to file geodatabases. At the moment, we use copy\\past technique to update the file geodatabases with the changes took place in their corresponding enterprise geodatabases.