Skip to main content

I have a folder full of unzip (.shp) mixed shape files Points, Lines, and Polys. Can I read in only the points somehow?? If not can anyone recommend a way to restrict to schema to only that of the point shapes, which I have found two different ones so far?

Hello @dbklingdom ,

A quick way that I can think of would involve using a Merged Filter on your Shape reader(if the point shapefiles have a different naming convention you could filter here eg: '*_point'). Alternatively, if you read in all of the Shapefiles and use a GeometryFilter. You could then allow only the point features to be passed on to the rest of the translation. I hope that helps.

Documentation that may help can be found here:

https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Workbench/!FeatureTypeProperties/Merging_Feature_Types.htm

https://docs.safe.com/fme/2017.1/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_Transformers/Transformers/geometryfilter.htm

I hope that helps.

Hi @dbklingdom, I would try this.

1. Read schema features from the target *.shp files with the Schema (Any Format) reader. Expose "fme_geomatry{}" and "fme_dataset" in the "schema" feature type.
  2. Use the Tester to select only schema features having value "fme_point" in the "fme_geometry{0}".
  3. Read the point Shapefile datasets using the FeatureReader with setting "fme_dataset" to the Dataset parameter.

How to query schema in FeatureReader for geometry type. I have 12 different schema's and maybe more coming from shapes. i would like to use the Schema's of the points, but cannot seem to get fme_geo or shape_geo in the Schema output to tester.

1. Read schema features from the target *.shp files with the Schema (Any Format) reader. Expose "fme_geomatry{}" and "fme_dataset" in the "schema" feature type.
  2. Use the Tester to select only schema features having value "fme_point" in the "fme_geometry{0}".
  3. Read the point Shapefile datasets using the FeatureReader with setting "fme_dataset" to the Dataset parameter.
This screenshot illustrates my intention.

A very elegant solution!

Hey many thanks for the replies. Now on the other side how do we setup FeatureReader to output the Schema and data?? If not there I have sent schema to listExploder, but am have trouble setting the schema up to be reader by the Dynamic Writer. IS it a single field? what is the Concatination syntactic? Thx