Skip to main content

I'm new to FME.

I've created a workspace that reads one Microstation V8 (dgn) file, and several shapefiles. It reads all features from the .dgn as well as all features from the shapefiles and outputs them into two new .dgn files. The first output file contains all features read, while the second one only contains the features from the shapefiles and not the features from the .dgn.

Now, I actually need this to run on a whole bunch of datasets, so I exposed all of the input files as parameters and run it from a batch file. The default value of all the parameters is the files for the test dataset I was using.

When I run the the workspace on the test dataset either in FME Workbench, or on the command line, everything works perfectly. When I run it on any other dataset, none of the features from the shapefiles is written to the output .dgn files. FME reports warnings, but the translation is always successful.

I've attached the workspace file, as well as logs from a successful and unsuccessful run.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Have you used the Merge setting on the Shape reader feature type?

Shape files are considered feature types in FME (as they do not contain layers).

So each file will be a new feature type and will only be read if the feature type is in the workspace. The merge option on the feature type will allow FME to read any feature type from the reader (shape) through the defined feature type in the workspace.

That did it! Thank you!

Have you used the Merge setting on the Shape reader feature type?

Shape files are considered feature types in FME (as they do not contain layers).

So each file will be a new feature type and will only be read if the feature type is in the workspace. The merge option on the feature type will allow FME to read any feature type from the reader (shape) through the defined feature type in the workspace.

Wish we could make this more obvious or more automatic....will think hard in FME 2017...