Skip to main content
Question

MicroStation V8 to MicroStation V7

• 7 December 2012
  • 2 replies

I am having to convert MicroStation V8 to MicroStation V7 design files. In doing so I am required to select a seed file for the V7 design file output. Is there a way to use the global origin and units of resolution from the source V8 file? Is there a way to strip off the element linkages that are not valid in a V7 design file?

Kevin,

Some ideas that strike me:

In FME while writing dgn files you have the option to

Compute Seed File Parameters under Parameters for DGN writer.

Check this box if you want the FME to scan the input data and automatically compute and use optimal parameters for the input data. You may want to use this setting if the seed file you selected does not provide a large enough real-world area for the output data. You can check to see if this help resolve your requirement.

Alternatively you can use a V7 seed file but if the UoR and GO are the same for all the files that you are converting from V8 to V7 then you can enable the Override Global Origin and Override Units and key-in the values (if they are constant for all the V8 files) in the corresponding boxes.That way your V7 files will be set to UoR and GO as that of the V8 file.

In case the GO and UoR are not constant for all the V8 files and you would like FME to pick them up from a look up list for each V8 file you are converting you can set these parameters for your V7 DGN writer to look at values (may be picked from a spreadsheet) or you could use a ValueMapper to map the published parameters of V7 writer to that of spreadsheet columns.

Regarding element linkages can you explain what you mean by not valid linkages?

Happy FME -ing :-)

Cheers

SRG
The GO will change from file to file so the only option would be to store the GO for each file and set those through a published parameter. I thought there was a way to get the GO / UOR from the source file; that way I could just use those instead of having to create an external source file for these values.

In MicroStation V8 the cell name is added to the header element as a user (string) linkage. FME does not recognoize this as a valid type of linkage so it aborts the translation process. I was looking for a way to have FME ignore these types of linkages. I did come up with a work around for this problem; it just is not very elegant nor anything I would want to rely on in the future.