Question

How to write FME solids to IFC?

• 17 July 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge

I have a raster surface which I first converted into a TIN. Then I extruded the TIN triangles downward to get 3D objects. Afterwards I used the SolidBuilder to turn them into solids. Now I want to save these as IFC, but the IFC file always ends up empty. I guess I have to define some types, but I don't know where to start. The SolidBuilder only has _is_void as attribute.

2 replies

Badge +14

Writing IFC is a little bit of a challenge because you have to name each feature and assign traits in order for the IFC standard to effectively ‘let features in’. You also need to create some standard FeatureType names to load that match the standard, just arbitrarily naming layers 'Test' and 'Test2' won't work for you, you'll need names like:

IfcPile

IfcSlab

IfcFooting &

IfcRailing

There's a good starting point by @DaveAtSafe here that I used to do it recently. Ideally much like the GPX writer the IFC Writer should lay down some predefined FeatureTypes, but that's not available in FME yet.

You'll want to look here for more of the schema detail.

Badge

I've used the AutoCAD to IFC example as a basis when my simple workflow didn't lead anywhere, but so far I haven't been able to write a valid IFC file. Latest attempt was trying to leave the workflow completely untouched and rig some attributes in, but nada..