Skip to main content
Hi,

We are writing to a new geodatabase with FME 2012.

Geodatabase Error (-2147219115): The row contains a bad value.

FileGDB Writer: A feature could not be written.

Has anyone experienced this error before.

Basically the schema is written but no content is populated.

The data is viewable mid-translation in the Universal Viewer.

Thanks,

Annette
Hi Annette,

maybe the input schema doesn't match the output schema.

-> for instance one data type in the writer doesn't fit to the input..

This could be something to check first.

Regards,

Stefan
Hi Stefan,

Turns out it occurs from writing 250 characters into an attribute field that has only 70 characters.  Strange...I thought it would have just truncated the data in that case.

Annette

This error will pop up when your text(...) datatype in the Writer allows for less characters then there are in the Reader.

Example:

Table1 Column_Name text(300) going into Table2 Column_Name text(255) will work as long as the records in Table1 don't exceed 255 characters, if they do then you have the bad value error.

It is also possible that you are trying to put an integer data type into a double, or the other way around.

It is due to the nature of ESRI Geodatabase API, if you use the Arc Objects format for your writer then the records will be truncated instead of being omitted. Be careful though, Arc Objects is a 32 bit technology, so it is not supported in 64 bit FME Workbench, you will have to use the 32 bit version for that.

If you have to use the Esri Geodatabase API for your project then I have a workaround solution for you to find out which rows have the bad values exactly, as it is not yet a thing in FME. This will help you with troubleshooting the problem columns. Ask me if you need more information on that.

Thank you,

Kostia

This error will pop up when your text(...) datatype in the Writer allows for less characters then there are in the Reader.

Example:

Table1 Column_Name text(300) going into Table2 Column_Name text(255) will work as long as the records in Table1 don't exceed 255 characters, if they do then you have the bad value error.

It is also possible that you are trying to put an integer data type into a double, or the other way around.

It is due to the nature of ESRI Geodatabase API, if you use the Arc Objects format for your writer then the records will be truncated instead of being omitted. Be careful though, Arc Objects is a 32 bit technology, so it is not supported in 64 bit FME Workbench, you will have to use the 32 bit version for that.

If you have to use the Esri Geodatabase API for your project then I have a workaround solution for you to find out which rows have the bad values exactly, as it is not yet a thing in FME. This will help you with troubleshooting the problem columns. Ask me if you need more information on that.

Thank you,

Kostia

Kostia,

I would love to see your solution on finding out which rows have the bad values in them.

Thanks

Nick

Example:

Thank you,

Kostia

Thanks @rycharg, I learned something new today. Too much characters for text field. Puzzly logging by Esri...