Skip to main content

Hi All,

I have noticed that when creating a large number of ffs files (with spatial index option on) just one fsi (index file) is created for all the ffs files. This is done via a ffs writer in a workspace.

When using the ffs files is a spatial intersection, FME warns:

Unable to apply native search envelope for file 'C:\\mmm_1.ffs' due to missing index file 'C:\\mmm_1.fsi

So can somebody explain to me: if this is a warning does FME actually uses the spatial index ? or is it not used and therefore a bug? should actually a index file per ffs file be created? (only seen that happens if the ffs is re-read and saved again)

Cheers,

Itay

Hi @itay, I think fsi files should be created for each ffs file, and was not able to reproduce the situation that only one fsi file is created for multiple ffs files. Perhaps it occurs in some specific conditions? Anyway, you should contact Safe support if the reason has not been clarified yet.

Hi @itay, I think fsi files should be created for each ffs file, and was not able to reproduce the situation that only one fsi file is created for multiple ffs files. Perhaps it occurs in some specific conditions? Anyway, you should contact Safe support if the reason has not been clarified yet.

Hi @takashi, appreciate the info and still hope somebody from Safe will comment otherwise my intention was to contact support.

Pretty sure this sounds like a bug. Do contact us with a repro case if you can.

Hi Dale,

Any idea when this is solved? I'm having the same issue.

Or is there a workaround?

Kind regards,

Ronny

Pretty sure this sounds like a bug. Do contact us with a repro case if you can.

Hi Dale,

Any idea when this is solved? I'm having the same issue.

Or is there a workaround?

Kind regards,

Ronny

Hello @r_van_laarschot / @itay -- I spoke with the team about this and we think that what is going on is that all the .ffs files produced in such a situation (a.ffs, a_1.ffs, a_2.ffs) are being used as the "source dataset" when in fact only the original "a.ffs" should be. It will automatically read a_1, a_2, etc in such a case. I was speaking with the team just now and we think that using .ffs as the extension for the spill-over files is not the best plan and will look to change that in the future and thus avoid this situation.

Hello @r_van_laarschot / @itay -- I spoke with the team about this and we think that what is going on is that all the .ffs files produced in such a situation (a.ffs, a_1.ffs, a_2.ffs) are being used as the "source dataset" when in fact only the original "a.ffs" should be. It will automatically read a_1, a_2, etc in such a case. I was speaking with the team just now and we think that using .ffs as the extension for the spill-over files is not the best plan and will look to change that in the future and thus avoid this situation.

Hi Dale,

Thanks for the quick respond. I assume there is no workaround at this moment?

kind regards,

Ronny

Hi Dale,

kind regards,

Ronny

You can open the ffs files in the Data Inspector and save it again to ffs and this will produce a fsi per ffs file.

Not elegant but it works.

You can open the ffs files in the Data Inspector and save it again to ffs and this will produce a fsi per ffs file.

Not elegant but it works.

Super! I'll give it a go. Thanks again.
Hi Dale,

kind regards,

Ronny

The workaround is just to use the first "a.ffs" as your input dataset. Do NOT specify a_1.ffs, etc. If you use a.ffs the claim is that FME will automatically just read the rest -- all the rest of the data will be available. @r_van_laarschot