Skip to main content
Question

Failed to write curved geometry to SDE Geodatabase on Oracle

• 1 March 2013
  • 3 replies

I'm trying to import some MicroStation DGN data into an SDE Geodatabase (Oracle).

My workflow is built specifically to preserve curved geometries, and when I write to a File Geodatabase, these are intact. However when I write to an SDE Geodatabse these are stroked into straight line segments.

Looking at the logs I get the following warnings: WARN  |Required columns 'GLOBAL_ID, OBJECTID, ' not specified for predefined table 'GISOWNER.TEST'.  Using Definition from Database

WARN  |DEF line for the table 'GISOWNER.TEST' not fully specified. As a result, existing table definitions will be used

WARN  |Existing SDE table 'GISOWNER.TEST' allows the following shapes: SDE_NIL SDE_LINE SDE_SIMPLE_LINE SDE_MULTIPART . Shapes specified in mapping file for table allows: . Defined shape types don't match.

WARN  |Spatial column name for existing table 'GISOWNER.TEST' is 'SHAPE' while value specified in mapping file is ''. Using existing column

WARN  |Existing table 'GISOWNER.TEST' does support CAD but mapping file specification for layer doesn't!

WARN  |Existing table 'GISOWNER.TEST' has 64 bit precision but mapping file specifies 0 bit precision for the layer! Using existing table's definition.=======

I'm pretty sure I had this working before, so I must have inadvertantly changed something...

I suspected that the SDE polyline feature class that I was writing to couldn't handle curved geometries - for whatever reason. But I was still able to create curved geometries in the feature class with ArcGIS Desktop.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Do I need to somehow get my exisiting SDE feature class to allow the "SDE_CAD" shape? (see log line 3).
Which writer are you using, SDE30 or GEODATABASE_SDE?

I would try both, if possible.

David
I was using SDE30 and now I have tried GEODATABASE_SDE, and that solves my problem. Thankyou.

I wasn't aware of the differences between the two.