Skip to main content

Hi,

Im having trouble writng to dgn with fanout on fme _feature_type, I get

0.0|ERROR |Couldn't extract a numeric level from the feature type `M-Korbanelinje'

see the image below.

It works fine If I dont use the fanout and just write everything to the same layer.

In dgn v8 it works fine to use the fanout function for the layers within the file, why does it not work in dgn v7? Anyone that knows about this?

Best/

Johan

Hi @northswejohan,

I'm sorry that you've encountered this issue.

This is an outstanding issue when writing a dynamic schema to DGN V7 (IGDS). The IGDS writer format requires the level name (feature type names) to be numeric and in the range of 0-63 inclusive.

To help guide our development efforts, could you let me know what your use case is for using the DGN V7 writer instead of the DGN V8 writer? Is there a reason the DGN V8 writer is not a feasible alternative?

- Andrea

(internal tracking: FMEENGINE-9207)

If you must use V7, then one idea is to use an AttributeValueMapper to map the source feature type to a number, and then use the resulting attribute as the one you fanout on. You'd need to know ahead of time all the features types though. If you want to assign the integers uniquely to feature types but at runtime, I can think of a dance involving VariableSetters, VariableRetrievers, and Counters to pull it off:

Route each feature through a VariableRetriever to get the level # by using the fme_feature_type as the variable name. Tester on the result -- If it comes back with a number, you're good to go. Else, route to a Counter to get a new number, set the level # to that, and also VariableSetter to set the variable named fme_feature_type to the level. The merge the streams with the stream that passed the test and you should be golden.

Gotta love V7 after all these years. Its like the old friend that when you get back together with after a long time its as if you were never apart.

Hi @northswejohan,

I'm sorry that you've encountered this issue.

This is an outstanding issue when writing a dynamic schema to DGN V7 (IGDS). The IGDS writer format requires the level name (feature type names) to be numeric and in the range of 0-63 inclusive.

To help guide our development efforts, could you let me know what your use case is for using the DGN V7 writer instead of the DGN V8 writer? Is there a reason the DGN V8 writer is not a feasible alternative?

- Andrea

(internal tracking: FMEENGINE-9207)

Hi,

Thanks for the response, Im working with a costumer and their system still only supports V7 Im affraid.

Best/

Johan