Skip to main content
Hallo everyone,

I tried a lot, but can't find a solution. I have a polyline feature class in a file geodatabase and want to create several annotations out of it. That means, the non-annotation-feature has already been written.

Writing multiple annotation classes according to the feature's attributes is already possible in my workflow, but they are not feature-linked yet.

It is stated here, that the "geodb_linked_feature_id" attribute connects the feature's Object ID to the ID of the annotations and thereby virtually the two datasets. But what am I supposed to enter in this field? When I choose the OBJECTID attribute of the polyline feature nothing happens.

A second point that confuses me:

If the polyline feature would not be already written, the documentary (here) tells me to use the 'geodb_text_feat_class_name' format attribute to link annotations to the feature. In the example, the annotation class name is entered for this attribute. But what does it help to enter the name of the destination annotation feature class in there? Do i have to set/expose it in the feature's or in the annotation's attributes?

I think I'm quite close to a solution, but somehow sense that I'm overseeing or misconceiving a point.

I'm also aware that there's already a very familiar topic (here). I carefully worked through your suggestsions and there seems to be a way working, but the user is unlikely to respond again, since it is already some months old.

Greets and many thanks in advance,

Andy

Hi Andy,

You are right, you are very close.  The way I have gotten this to work for you're scenario (precreated features) with some caveats. 

Firstly, why are you originating the annotation from FME?  You should create the initial annotation features from Arcmap and set up your labels that way.  Then if you add or removed features from your main feature tables, you can use my method you found on this forum. 

Regardless, if you choose to create all the annotation from scratch via FME you'll still need to create the annotation feature class (even a blank one from ArcCatalog if you want).  You'll need to load in your feature and annotation classes. Add an attribute creator and set up the annotation attributes you want.  The key element you are missing is the labelPoint_replacer transformer.  Add this and hook in your attributes to the annotation feature class you created in ArcCatalog.  I assign the OBJECTID to both the FeatureID and the geodb_linked_feature_id. 

If you watch the video that was in one of the responses to my question you will see this played out and it will be easy to understand.

For some reason when I run it, it creates two new annotation features, however that doesnt mean you will run into this problem.  If anyone comes across a solution to this problem it would be great to understand what is going on here.  FME only reports 1 feature being written. 

Good luck!