Skip to main content

Good Day FME'ers,

I have recently upgraded to FME 2016 and I have been testing all our production workspaces to make sure they run correctly. Some of our workspace write data out to CartoDB and they have all no started producing errors. The log record is as follows:

2016-01-28 11:42:05| 17.1| 0.0|ERROR |CARTODB writer: HTTP Error 400-599: HTTP error code : 400

2016-01-28 11:42:05| 17.1| 0.0|ERROR |CARTODB writer: Error returned by server : relation "{table_name}_cartodb_id_seq" does not exist

where {table_name} is the cartodb table.

The data or table structure has not changed since upgrading and this did not occur in 2015.1. I'm not sure if it's a bug in FME or an issue with CartoDB. I could delete and recreate the tables in CartoDB but I would lose the styling.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

David McDermott

The 'What's New' doc here only appears to reference changes to the CartoDB Reader, rather than the Writer. But its possible that a) Safe have re-versioned the Writer or b) The API has changed behind the scenes.

To deal with the first possibility, add a New CartoDB Writer with no FeatureTypes (sadly you can't see format version numbers as you can with Transformers), then go to the existing FTs and move them all over to the new Writer. Check for any obvious parameter difference between the writers in the Navigator window. Run the process and see what happens. Delete the old writer.

If that doesn't help I'd recommend you submit a support case with an example workspace and your logs. Ideally a before (2015) and after (2016) log will help speed things up.

I checked in the developer database and the only two CartoDB updates for 2016 were fixing a problem reading a table list, and disallowing "." characters in table names in the Writer.

It doesn't sound like your issue would be caused by either of these, so please - if you can't get it to work - submit it to our support team (safe.com/support) or your reseller support, asap. That way we can get a fix out earlier if it is something on our end.

I checked in the developer database and the only two CartoDB updates for 2016 were fixing a problem reading a table list, and disallowing "." characters in table names in the Writer.

It doesn't sound like your issue would be caused by either of these, so please - if you can't get it to work - submit it to our support team (safe.com/support) or your reseller support, asap. That way we can get a fix out earlier if it is something on our end.

Our CartoDB developer says that he thinks he knows what the problem is. However, the translation is successful - regardless of the error message - so you can probably ignore it for now. Still, it would be great if you can submit it to the support team and we'll get it fixed for sure. Thanks.

Thanks for all the answers. I have raised the issue with CartoDB also to check if it's a problem on their end. I'll wait for a response from them before submitting a support call.

Thanks for all the answers. I have raised the issue with CartoDB also to check if it's a problem on their end. I'll wait for a response from them before submitting a support call.

We think it's the underlying library that we're using. It assumes that all sequences are named [tablename]_cartodb_id_seq. The library itself always creates sequences with that name, but it's obviously not the case that all other products/users will. So I don't see it as being a CartoDB problem.

Hi Mark. CartoDB have got back to me and agree with your diagnosis. I will submit a support call to safe.

Hi Mark. CartoDB have got back to me and agree with your diagnosis. I will submit a support call to safe.

I just heard that there is a fix that has gone into 2016.1 (build 16457 or greater). I'm sure that beta will be out soon and the full 2016.1 release can't be more than a few weeks away.