Skip to main content
Hi,

I'm trying to solve an issue in our office where users who have the "FME Extension for ArcGIS" installed on thier PCs are checking out FME licences every time they open a copy of ArcMap. (None of them are enabled)

The licences are usually returned within a second or two, but occasionaly they get stuck, which causes us FME users issues as we only have 2 licences. (it also regularly interupts scheduled tasks and batch process).

A sample from the licence manager log file when I started ArcMap:

12:50:04 (safe) OUT: "FME" username@machinename 

12:50:04 (safe) OUT: "esri" username@machinename 

12:50:04 (safe) OUT: "national" username@machinename 

12:50:04 (safe) IN: "national" username@machinename 

12:50:04 (safe) OUT: "fmeobjects_reproject" username@machinename 

12:50:04 (safe) IN: "fmeobjects_reproject" username@machinename 

12:50:04 (safe) OUT: "basic_raster" username@machinename 

12:50:04 (safe) IN: "basic_raster" username@machinename 

12:50:06 (safe) IN: "esri" username@machinename 

12:50:06 (safe) IN: "FME" username@machinename

Is there any way to stop this behaviour?

I'm assuming uninstalling FME and installing without the extension would work, but with our tightly controlled IT that could take some time to organise.

Thanks,

Andy
I've not seen the behaviour of ArcMap returning the FME licenses after a couple of seconds however it may be due to a registry cache from when FME was extended into ArcMap via an older FME version for example.

Even reinstalling FME may not totally resolve the problem so be aware of the below tips:

Generally, if ArcGIS is taking a FME license, you will need to:

"Revert" ArcGIS via the FME Integration Console, then it will prevent ArcGIS from requesting an FME license. This should also allow the Interop License to be used instead

Note that if ArcGIS is installed after FME, then those symptoms won't occur. However, it has been found that even when ArcGIS is installed after FME, that an FME license may still be taken if a previous version of FME  and/or ArcGIS were uninstalled before reverting the FME license from ArcGIS. This causes the registry to still think that FME is extended into ArcGIS.

In this case, try executing the following command:

fmeintegrationconsole_cmd.exe --revert ArcGIS

If that doesn't work, install FME and then ArcGIS and then run both the core update.reg and data inter.reg registry update files (taken from a clean installation which doesn't have the erroneous symptoms). Afterwards, extend the FME extension in the FME Integration Console, open FME Workbench (to license it). Then revert the license in FME Integration console and test it has reverted via ArcGIS
Hi Kathy,

I tried reverting licences as you suggested, but it didn't work.

However I did uninstall FME and reinstall it, which does seem to stop the issue, and there is no longer an extension listed in ArcGIS called "FME Extension for ArcGIS".

Thanks, Andy