Skip to main content

Hi,

When I check my data in FME Data Inspector I have all my rows, but when I write the data to an Excel spreadsheet I have a lot of empty rows and some rows populated.

Does any one face the same situation ?

Thanks.

Jacob

How are you viewing the data in the Data Inspector?

• If you are using an Inspector transformer in your workspace you'll get to see the data as it is handled by FME at that point, this may not be the same data that actually ends up in the file, as some formats impose limitations.
  • If you use the Redirect to Inspection Application option in the Writers menu you get a closer approximation of your output data but it may still not be the same as what actually gets written to the file.

Those rows that are empty in Excel but filled in Data Inspector, are you noticing anything odd about them? Wrong data types perhaps? Are you getting any error messages in your log?

It would help if you could post your workspace along with a small sample of your data.

How are you viewing the data in the Data Inspector?

• If you are using an Inspector transformer in your workspace you'll get to see the data as it is handled by FME at that point, this may not be the same data that actually ends up in the file, as some formats impose limitations.
  • If you use the Redirect to Inspection Application option in the Writers menu you get a closer approximation of your output data but it may still not be the same as what actually gets written to the file.

Those rows that are empty in Excel but filled in Data Inspector, are you noticing anything odd about them? Wrong data types perhaps? Are you getting any error messages in your log?

It would help if you could post your workspace along with a small sample of your data.

Thanks for your answer,

I did a writer redirect and I'm getting all the rows populated as I mentioned in my post.

I don't see anything odd about the rows that are not written properly. I getting no error messages.

I have changed for a CSV writer and every rows are there.

I think this is a bug in the software.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your answer,

I did a writer redirect and I'm getting all the rows populated as I mentioned in my post.

I don't see anything odd about the rows that are not written properly. I getting no error messages.

I have changed for a CSV writer and every rows are there.

I think this is a bug in the software.

Thanks for your help.

Can you send a sample into support@safe.com -- we'd definitely be interested. I agree with @redgeographics that the most likely problem is some mismatch between data types in your output feature type and what is actually being sent in. CSV doesn't care about data types so that could explain the difference. I'd also look in the translation log to see if there are any warnings present.

I have had similar issues when I add or remove attribute fields for a spreadsheet within FME. Like if I create a new attribute and such. Last time it happened, I had to delete the original exported data and reconnect the reader before it pulled the data correctly.