Question

Selection geoprocessing from multiple records of same name

• 16 November 2012
  • 1 reply

Here is the brief I have recieved from my supervisor 'The overall purpose of this exercise is to provide SSO with evidence of the largest area of land granted to tenement holders within a native title claim area. Most of this process is straightforward but becomes complicated when we deal with tenements that have had multiple boundaries over their lifespan. The filtering process is currently done manually and can take a staff member weeks to achieve when there are 10,000+ rows of records to examine and filter. Any steps towards automation of this process will be a great help. '

So far in my FME model have been able to isolate and clean out boundary description by globally deleting them over the whole shapefile. All tenements that have single bounadaries in their lifetime have been moved elsewhere. I have reduced the number of tenements by 80% and am now left with the more complex multiple boundaried tenements

The criteria for isolating the specific tenement from multiple tenements is complex and I don't expect you to take that on board; I only want a framework of how to select a group of same numbered tenements within the shapefile, be able to select/filter on certain criteria such as area or date send this filtered data somewhere and then go on to the next group of multiple tenements within the shapefile.

1 reply

Hi John.

You are going in the right direction seperating out the single boundaries vs multiple boundaries and dealing with them seperately.

I imagine that you are going to have a string of numbers of these together to do the filtering you are looking for possibly some DATE and AREA filters then sort these by the largest area using the ID for each tenement.

I have put together a bit of a workbench for you to refer to.

There is a screenshot attached to this post.

Cheers.

Michael.