Question

scale by group id

• 17 October 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge +5

I have a group of features that are merged together into a spatial boundary (buffer of 25 feet) and I'd like to scale each group of features (lines included) from a known center point to a scale that would make each group more readable with labels. The number of groups varies from map to map. Each group is created as an inset map to a PDF. The brown diamond is where the center point is and the anchor point for my scaler. I wonder why the scaler transformer doesn't have a group by.

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +17

Just thinking out loud:

Could you aggregate the objects, apply the scaling and then de-aggregate?

Using Aggregator (has a group by), Scaler and DeAggregator.

Badge +3

calculate distance from centerpoint.

Use this to base your scaling on. Maybe use the desired fontsize as a modulus. (to prevent overlaps)

Either calculate scalevector per point (dx*cosAngle,dy*sin(angle)) or create lines form point to center (use a unconditional merge, or variablesetter/retriever to merge center to each pint) and scale those.

When having scaled liens, extract endpoint and place label.

Use this to base your scaling on. Maybe use the desired fontsize as a modulus. (to prevent overlaps)

Badge +5

calculate distance from centerpoint.

Either calculate scalevector per point (dx*cosAngle,dy*sin(angle)) or create lines form point to center (use a unconditional merge, or variablesetter/retriever to merge center to each pint) and scale those.

When having scaled liens, extract endpoint and place label.

Thanks @gio. I'll try this out. I got the scalevector approach but can you explain how the modulo counter can help me prevent overlaps on my text.

Another option popped out my head by running each group through a worker transformer by group id and then scale in the worker workspace and then loop back to the next group until it's done.

Badge +5

Just thinking out loud:

Could you aggregate the objects, apply the scaling and then de-aggregate?

Using Aggregator (has a group by), Scaler and DeAggregator.

I spoke too soon earlier. it works but scaling did not really fix any overlaps. I can use this with Gio's suggestion to produce a better result. Thanks!.