Question

Raster questions and advice

• 8 February 2017
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hi,

Can anyone answer these questions in order to aid my understanding of Rasters? Apologies but there are a few questions, some are general and some are specially FME related.

1. If a raster file contains multiple bands, do the bands ALWAYS have to be of the same numerical interpretation type? ( if this is true the presumably this would be due to a restriction of the data structure/model?) For example:

band{0}=Uint8

band{1}= Uint8

band{2}=Uint8

Or could you have mixed types as in:

band{0}=Uint8

band{1}= Int16

band{2}=Real32

band{3}=Int8

2. Within FME is there a way to ‘expose’ the interpretation type of band/s within a raster? If so what method could I use to do this? I have used RasterPropertyExtractor to obtain many details of the raster file, including the number of bands, but I cannot ascertain the actual interpretation types using this method. Essentially, I want to understand whether numerous raster files all have the same band interpretation type.

3. I have a mixed set of RGB raster files, either where the RGB bands are all UInt8; or, where the RGB bands are all Uint16.

I decided that I would consolidate them into 1 interpretation type.

Firstly I thought that I would try and convert the UInt8 files to UInt16. I used the RasterExpressionEvaluator to perform a test conversion. I only converted the r band just as a test, by Red16=A[0]. I then looked at the value of a given pixel both before and after the conversion, before pixel X was A[0] =100; and after pixel X was A[0] =100. I was sort of expecting the after value to be something like A[0] =25633 where ((100/256)*65536)); i.e. that the position of the value on the scale would be proportionally identical on the new scale. I presume that this is NOT the case as the value range Red8 (0-255) sits within the value range of Red16 (0-65535), therefore no change was applied as pixel X =100 was already 'valid'? Is this correct?

Consequently, if I do want to perform the 'proportional' conversions from either UInt8 to UInt16; or, UInt16 to UInt8, what method or formulas should I apply to complete conversions in either direction? Or should I NOT be doing this as it is this bad practice? Or, is it ok to convert in both directions? Or should I only convert down?

I am using FME Desktop 2015.1

Many thanks in advance.

Rob

1 reply

Userlevel 2
      Badge +17

Hi @rob14,

1. A raster as a logical data structure can have multiple bands with different data types, but I've never come across an actual raster format that supports such mixed data types, so far.
      2. The RasterBandPropertyExtractor might help you.
      3. The RasterBandInterpretationCoercer or the RasterInterpretationCoercer might help you.