Skip to main content

I have a block sitting on a line and a block associated with a point in a DWG file. How can I save the label positions, including the rotation and alignment of attributes like 'ID', 'Slope', and 'IL_Out', using the CAD Feature Writer in FME?

Your question may require a little more details to direct you on the right track, however generally, all starts at the FeatureReader where you decide how you would like to interpret Block objects. DWG files read by FME have a tone of "autocad_" attributes that hold values you may use in processing your data as well as changing them to steer how your CAD objects behave and land in DWG. The easiest way to manipulate objects is via DWGStyler, but as said earlier, there are attributes you can expose to control your CAD objects, including Block positions, rotation etc.

In most cases objects that would end up being blocks need to be aggregated before they enter the Writer and there (from your scarce description) I would guess you would need to play with an Extended Entity Data option in order to keep the attributes.

I tried adjusting autocad_TL_x and autocad_TL_y for example, but when writing back to the DWG, the final position of TL shifts to a different location according to the block design.

The block location is shown in red, and the label location is shown in blue :

And the new position of the label in the DWG :

I still haven't found a way to preserve the label position when using both the writer and the DWGStyler Even though I preserved the autocad attributes:

What am I missing? I’ve been using Extended Entity Data , Limited, Inserts options..

Hi @tomerbublick1 

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Which version of FME are you using? 

If possible, would you be able to share a workspace template with feature caching enabled so that we can take a closer look. 

Crystal